Management Studio is waiting for an internal operation to complete - by dale6

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 1/31/2007 9:02:15 AM

Occasionally, when saving edited diagrams in Management Studio, the save takes from a few minutes to 20+ minutes.  The changes to the tables are saved right away but the diagram is not saved and clicking on the diagram results in a popup at the notification area saying that Management Studio is waiting ofr an internal operation to complete.

Opening another instance of Management Studio and looking at the database shows that the table changes are saved but the diagram has not been saved.  When the "internal operation" eventually finishes, the diagram changes are reflected in the database.

In the current new database I am developing, this has occurred twice (so far).  This is a new database and has no data.  I have been working on the database for a week.

In both occurences, among the changes made, I had created a bit column and assigned that bit column a 0 default value in the property page.  I don't know if that is related or not but nothing else stands out as being unique in the changes being saved.  These are, so far, the only two bit columns in the database.

During the delay, I run sp_who and sp_who2.  The results of that shows that every connection to my target database is in sleeping state.  That tells me that the problem is not a database locking or timeout issue but that the problem is, as the notification states, an internal operation in Management Studio.

The other changes being saved, both times that I had the error and many, many times that I did not, generally included new columns in existing tables, adding new tables, and adding new relationships as well as whatever moving objects around on the diagram may have taken place.
Posted by omnimaven on 6/4/2010 at 8:05 PM
This happens to me in both SQL Server Management Studio Express version 2005 and 2008. Before Windows 7, all I had to do is to right click the MS SQL Server Management Studio icon on the task bar and select Minimize. In Windows 7, when you right click the icon on the task bar you don't get the option to minimize so now I can't unfreeze the program. It only happens when I am working on a diagram and I click save.
Posted by Alex Filipovici on 3/25/2009 at 2:09 PM
I am facing the same problem. Management Studio freezes when saving a diagram. All the behaviour above is reproduced.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2008 at 5:26 AM
This is regarding the issue you filed against SQL Server Management Studio where saving a database diagram hangs with a message that "Management Studio is waiting for an internal operation to complete".

We have not been able to reproduce this issue with SQL Server 2008 and hence we have closed this issue. Please resubmit if you still find this issue in SQL Server 2008.

- Balaji Rathakrishnan
Posted by Microsoft on 2/2/2007 at 10:41 AM
Hi Dale,

We have moved this bugged to the next release. thanks for your feedback.

Posted by dale6 on 1/31/2007 at 11:03 AM
I finally got the frozen instance of Management Studio to exit. This reminded me of the same thing I did to "un-freeze" it a few days ago in this same database. I will outline this below. First, let me point out that once I got it closed and re-opened, I tried a bit column with a 0 default and saved successfully. The bit issue may be a red herring.

What I am more sure of in my experience is that, once frozen, I clicked the X to close the window but the window did not respond. In both occurrences, when I decided to end-task the application, I began by right-clicking the icon for Management Studio in the task bar. In both cases, the context-menu popped up and then instantly disappeared, as often occurs with frozen applications.

On the first occurrence, instantly after right-clicking the taskbar icon and the context-menu going away, the Management Studio instance un-froze and offered me a Save dialog as if the application was closing (I had un-saved query windows open and I had previously clicked the X trying to close the frozen app). I cancelled the Save dialog and was able to continue in Management Studio.

On the second occurrence, instantly after right-clicking the taskbar icon and the context-menu going away, the application closed. Again, I had previously clicked the X trying to close the frozen application but this time I had no un-saved queries open - I had queries open, just not un-saved ones - so this time I didn't get a Save dialog to cancel.

The common behavior is that as soon as I right-clicked the icon on the taskbar and then the context-menu appeared and instantly disappeared, then the application began functioning again.