Urgent problem - by Miron Abramson

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 2/19/2007 12:13:30 AM

Hi,
I have a problem with SQL Server Express, and have no solution. Mybe you can help:
Description of the problem:

I'm a developer so the computer is my work.
I bought a DELL (Inspiron 6400 Core Due 2, 2.0Mhz, 2GB 667 RAM) notebook.
The laptop is crushing, and I'm getting blue screen with the above error message:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0xbf8E270C,0A8E11868,0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF8E270C base at BF800000, DateStamp 43446058...

It happen when opening tables using Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express 9.00.2047.00. A few seconds after opening a table, it appears that the entire form refreshes and the table's grid lines will double for a split second. While my computer does not crash every time this happens, when my computer does crash, it does so
just when the grid lines double. This does not appear to happen on any table in particular and can happen on the very first table I open or,
 arbitrarily, the tenth. This happens on databases that other computers can access with no problem.

DELL replaced the memory, the motherboard, the HD and finally the laptop itself, but without success.
I had to give back the laptop and get back the money, and
I bought a new TOSHIBA A100-786 (Core Due2 1.83 Mhz, 2GB 667 RAM) and surprise. The problem and the blue screens are the same!!!

So, You nobody can say it's hardware problem, because it's NOT.

I have new clean installation of XP Pro with SQL Server Express 2005.

Please help !!!

Best Regards,
Miron Abramson
miron.abramson@gmail.com
Posted by Microsoft on 1/22/2009 at 3:57 AM
Dear customer,
This is no more an issue in the SQL Server 2008 SSMS express version. Please let us know if you see this issue again.

Thanks
Satish
Posted by Microsoft on 12/20/2007 at 8:10 AM
Hi Mironabramson,

With the next release of SQL Express, the open table operation will be restrictive with a fixed no. of rows. This issue has been around based on so many hardware issues as well. We are closing this at this point. If you find the problem still persisting, feel free to reopen this issue.

Regards
Vinod
Posted by Microsoft on 12/3/2007 at 1:33 AM
Hello Miron Abramson,

Have you looked at the Eventvwr logs for any anomalies post the Blue Screen?

The STOP error message you have posted :

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0xbf8E270C,0A8E11868,0x00000000)

suggests that the problem at the hardware level.

SQL Server or SSMS bein user level processes can never cause a Blue Screen.

Thanks,
Karthik

SQL Server Team
Posted by DB007 on 6/28/2007 at 3:18 AM
Intel Releases Core 2 BIOS Chip Fix:

Causes system instability - blue screens etc.
Prehaps its a Hardware issue after all, somebody to test and report back ?
Posted by tOMPSON1 on 6/19/2007 at 2:40 PM
Hi,

I got the same problem here: Dell Precision M65 Notebook with 2GB RAM, Core Duo 2, Windows XP

After a random amount of time working with SQL Server Management Studio Express I get the BSOD with

*** STOP: 0x0000008E ( .... )
*** win32k.sys - Address ....

It does not depend on which table I open ... I already upgraded my video driver to the newest version - problem still exists.

Will there be a solution/patch soon?
Posted by andyalmq on 6/5/2007 at 9:34 PM
Hi,

I also have the same problem on a Sony VAIO VGN-BX670P. All of the instances of this that I have found have been with Intel dual core systems - possibly all Core 2 duo. A temporary workaround that appears to work for me is to go into the advanced display settings and turn off hardware acceleration. My video card is an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, and it has the most recent drivers available.

As far as reproducing this problem, it happens nearly every time I leave hardware accelleration at full (I havn't tried settings in between). It generally happens when selecting a field to edit, or editing a value, but the timing seem rather random. Some times it will happen the first time I try to edit something, other times I'll be working for 15-20 minutes before it happens.
Posted by Miron Abramson on 5/13/2007 at 10:48 AM
I'm not using Microsoft IntelliMouse Driver.
The only common pattern I found for all that having the problem is :
Processor Core Due 2 with 2G of RAM.
Until MS will provide a solution, I left the Management Studio for Aqua Data Studio 4.7
Posted by Miron Abramson on 5/13/2007 at 10:43 AM
I'm not using Microsoft IntelliMouse Driver.
The only common pattern I found for all that having the problem is :
Processor Core Due 2 with 2G of RAM.
Posted by vaclav.panenka on 5/8/2007 at 11:13 PM
Are you using Microsoft IntelliMouse Driver? I found in https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=262721 solution that removing of new 6.x version of Intellimouse Driver resolves our common problem.
Posted by Miron Abramson on 3/23/2007 at 1:48 PM
Hi all,
I'm tired from waiting for an answer.
I need to work, and I just can't !!!
Somebody can help me by give me a link to another editor\management software to manage sql server?
Posted by vaclav.panenka on 3/22/2007 at 7:11 AM
I have Acer, not Dell.
Problems are from January, I've been installed new MSDN, SP1 for SQL and security patches from MS and from next day BSOD are fired.
Posted by AaronBertrand on 3/21/2007 at 12:55 PM
Is it possibly a video driver related bug, or something Dell specific? I don't use Open Table but I have a Dell machine with core 2 duo processors and a high-end video card, and I get blue screens all the time on that machine (but none seem related to Management Studio at all). I have a few other Dell machines (two desktops and a laptop), both desktops have dual core, and none of these three machines has ever had a blue screen. So it can't be Management Studio in isolation, else I would be seeing this on all Dells (or all Dells with multi core processors, or all Dells with nvidia video cards, etc). The symptom definitely sounds video driver related to me.
Posted by Miron Abramson on 3/21/2007 at 6:31 AM
Hi,
There is something new with the subject ?
My windows still crashing all time. Waiting (as some more windows users) for
an urgent solution.
Regards,
Miron Abramson
Posted by Miron Abramson on 3/21/2007 at 6:28 AM
Hi,
There is something new with the subject ?
My windows still crashing all time. Waiting (as some more windows users) for
an urgent solution.
Regards,
Miron Abramson
Posted by vaclav.panenka on 3/5/2007 at 11:22 PM
I have same problems and I found on google that other people too. Common sign is using on notebooks with multi core processor. I have for example Acer notebook and problems I have from end of January. Before that I have no problems. I've been tried SP1 and SP2 of SQL 2005, Developer and Express versions and BSOD's are the same. It not depends on table's properties. It can be small table with two int columns like I tried yesterday. When I want add new row BSOD is thrown, for example. I have no problems with SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager, so I using it now again.
Posted by Miron Abramson on 2/22/2007 at 12:41 AM
Hi,
the size of the table is not meter. it's happen on empty or full table.
also, it can happen almost with every table. the table witch is most commonly happen include the data type:
int, datetime, bigint, varchar(128), varchar(MAX), varchar(255), varchar(MAX).
I remind you again that it's not happen every time I open that table.
I happen maybe one to ten times I open it.
I also attached that table.
Posted by Miron Abramson on 2/22/2007 at 12:40 AM
Hi,
the size of the table is not meter. it's happen on empty or full table.
int, datetime, bigint, varchar(128), varchar(MAX), varchar(255), varchar(MAX).
I remind you again that it's not happen every time I open that table.
I happen maybe one to ten times I open it.
I also attached that table.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/21/2007 at 9:15 PM
Hi MironBramson,

We shall target this issue in our next release. Also we want to reproduce this problem at our end so that we can find a solution. Please let us know what is the table size and what are the data types in it when it happens.

Thanks,
Alok
Posted by Miron Abramson on 2/21/2007 at 1:49 AM
Yes, I'm connecting DB that on my local machine.
I downloaded the ssms express in the last month (version: 9.00.2047.00).
The DB I'm connecting to is my DB. I created it.
Need Some more info ?
I know I'm not the only one who have this problem. a fast checking over the net found
some others that having the problem, but none of them found the solution.
Waiting for fast solution...
Regards,
Miron Abramson
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2007 at 12:26 AM
Hi MironBramson,

Thanks for reporting this bug. I would like to know more input on this bug. Are you connecting to a db on your machine itself or to a remote machine? When you download ssms express, which DB are you making the connection with? Could you please update us with this info. Feel free to contact us and probably we can have a call as well.