The SQL Server shared path has already been configured - by JanetB1

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 8/8/2007 9:40:06 AM

During setup, we change the default location of shared folder to f:\sqlsharedtools\.  When I install SQL 2008 the first time, and install database services and SSIS (no tools), this works fine.  When I install a second instance and the tools and try to change the folder, I get a error "The SQL Server shared path has already been configured." and it is pointing to the "C:\program files..."  folder.
Posted by calyan on 3/19/2010 at 6:38 AM
Actually i got request to install SQL Server 2005 Database Engine and SSIS on top of windows 2003 64 bit OS. But .Net Framework is installed already on that box. I started installation of SQL Server 2005, while changing the path of Shared Tools it is not allowing me to change. please help me how to resolve this thing.
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 4/29/2008 at 1:14 PM
Janet -

Just wanted to let you know we have confirmed this is fixed for the next CTP.

Amy Lewis
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 4/23/2008 at 4:11 PM
Janet -

Quick Update this issue has been fixed in my improvement and you won't see it with our next CTP.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Amy Lewis
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 8/24/2007 at 1:48 PM
Janet -

Thanks for the feedback - I now understand what you are saying and agree we will fix prior to RTM.

Amy Lewis
Posted by JanetB1 on 8/16/2007 at 8:03 AM
Amy - The first Katmai installation allows us to change the location of the shared components. For example, we change it to f:\sqlsharedtools. Subsequent installations should use the same folder that we used in the intial installation but instead, during setup, it shows the default location of c:\program files\microsoft sql server\. When we try to change it to the folder that we used in the initial installation, we get a popup "The SQL Server shared path has already been configured".
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 8/13/2007 at 9:06 AM
Janet -

You can't change the location of shared components after you have already installed shared components. All the instances share these and so the first install gets to set this location and the rest must use the same location.

This is by design and can not be fixed.

Amy Lewis