Internal error: An unexpected error occurred (file 'mdsubcube.cpp', line 5257, function 'MDSubcube::IsPartiallyCoveringCell'). - by GregGalloway

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 10/29/2007 4:20:16 PM

I believe this bug is related to a many-to-many relationship and to an agg I designed to optimize that. I was unable to reproduce this against Adventure Works, but I think it is very closely related to another bug I reported:

It's basically the same situation I describe in there, except this is not on Adventure Works. Some queries produce nulls. Some queries return the right numbers. Some queries produce the following error:

The query that produces that error looks like:

select [Measures].[My Measures] on 0,
NON EMPTY [ManyToMany Dim].[Attrib].[Attrib].Members
 on 1
from [MyCube]
where [Date].[Date].&[20071028]

I know that's not much help for you to reproduce, but I hope it gives you some clues to research.

I think this error may be the same as:
Posted by LukaBD on 8/5/2011 at 3:11 AM
Same thing with AS2008R2; error appears in Excel!
Posted by M.Solcia on 11/9/2010 at 3:29 AM
I answer to myself.

The bug is fixed in SQL Server 2008 SP1 CU9
Posted by M.Solcia on 11/3/2010 at 9:01 AM
Hi Edward,

we have the same error with Analysis Services 2008: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (SP1) - 10.0.2531.0 (X64) Mar 29 2009 10:11:52 Copyright (c) 1988-2008 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7600: )

Do you have any fresh news about the resolution?
Thanks in advance

Massimo Solcia
TXT e-solutions (
Posted by Microsoft on 10/13/2008 at 4:35 PM
Thanks a lot Greg for reporting this problem.

This should have been fixed in Analysis Services 2008.
Please let me know if you have any open questions regarding this.

Edward Melomed.
Posted by GregGalloway on 11/8/2007 at 6:06 PM
Microsoft, the workaround for this issue is the same as the workaround for SRX071012601790. So you might want to consider looking into fixing this issue as you address that issue during Katmai development.

By the way, I heard back from the author of this issue ( and his issue is unrelated to m2m dimensions.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/7/2007 at 11:42 AM
Thanks for notifying us about this. We are reviewing for the next release.