SSMS slow when right-clicking an index for a table, over a remote (Internet) connection - by Dean_Jackson

Fixed<br /><br />

Status Resolved Workarounds
Opened 12/2/2016 9:31:33 PM

Right click an index from the "Indexes" folder of a table over a remote/Internet connection, and SSMS temporarily says "Not responding" in the title bar, because it's so slow.  Then after the context menu appears, choosing properties to bring up the Index properties window, is very slow also.

It does this EVERY time, multiple times in a row.  It's not just the first time.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 3/17/2017 at 8:05 AM
Still not fixed in version 17.0 RC2
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 3/16/2017 at 7:18 AM
I don't say this to be mean in any way, but it seems they're making changes "hoping" it will fix it, but not really "testing" it.
Posted by nemecek.jano on 3/16/2017 at 2:50 AM
Why is this marked as Resolved? Do guys in MSFT smoking something or what? Latest SSMS 2016 is still slow. Even if i try to open a new query window (connected to my LOCALHOST!! - also latest version SQL Server 2016). Few seconds hangs in "Not responding" state.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 2/8/2017 at 8:27 AM
When I say that in version 16.5.3 it's slow to bring up the dialog, I mean slow to show the context menu. The UI temporarily says "Not responding" in the main window title bar.
Posted by elChapoDeSinaloa on 2/7/2017 at 3:01 PM
Yup, still not fixed in 16.5.3.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 2/1/2017 at 1:30 PM
In version 16.5.3, this is still not fixed. I can duplicate it easily. I right-click an index, and it's slow to bring up the dialog.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/23/2017 at 8:27 PM
This is also fixed in the recently releases SSMS 16.5.2 (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt238290.aspx)

Note: we are aware of other performance issue in Object Explorer, which we will try to address in future releases.

Thanks,
-Matteo
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 1/11/2017 at 9:46 AM
Thanks for saying you've fixed this. I wonder if this bug is also why it's very slow to show intellisense when writing a query sometimes.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 12/23/2016 at 7:25 AM
Thanks very much David for at least responding, and for trying to fix this. SSMS has been a legendary tool tons of people have counted on for years; I hope to see it corrected soon.
Posted by David [MSFT] on 12/23/2016 at 6:34 AM
thanx for the report!
We recently made a fix to fetch some properties of the table to determine the enabled state of some menu items, but it turned out to generate multiple queries and lots of round trips if the table has many columns.
I have a fix coming in Q1 2017.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 12/21/2016 at 10:31 AM
I used SSMS that came with SQL 2008 R2, almost daily, and I never had the problem to the extent it is with the newer SSMS based on Visual Studio shell. For me it's more frequent and the delays are much longer, especially with right-clicking an index, which will cause SSMS to say "not responding" for a while.
Posted by Stefan Falz on 12/21/2016 at 3:01 AM
The behaviour is exact the same as described in this old Connect thread about SSMS 2008.

---

Because my previous post was incomplete:

The problem exists with remote connections only. Local connections are fine (as far as i can see)

In my case I have installed the german version of SSMS 2016 (16.5.1) on Windows 8.1 (also German) along with SSMS 2014.
Posted by Stefan Falz on 12/21/2016 at 2:31 AM
The problem exists in SSMS 16.5.1 also. But only with remote connections. Loca

Steps to reproduce:

Open a remote connection to a SQL Server 2016 instance (in my case per TCP/IP), other SQL versions like 2008, 2008 R2 doesn't show this behaviour.
-> Open "Databases" node in object explorer
-> Open <Database> node
     -> Open "Tables" node
     -> Right click on any table or any index of the table
            The popup menu opens after a delay of 3-5 seconds (every time!).

This doesn't happen when right click on a view, database, table trigger, ...

SSMS 2014 doesn't show this problem. Connections from SSMS 16 to lower SQL Server versions like 2008, 2008 R2 are fine AFAICS.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 12/7/2016 at 12:04 PM
@sp_lock,
Thanks for the tip, but this didn't make any difference for me. I can replicate this every time on a fresh install of Windows/SSMS, on both a laptop with Wireless and with my new-built desktop with wired connection. I've seen cases where having IPv6 enabled caused problems with some programs, but it didn't help here for me.
Posted by sp_lock on 12/6/2016 at 7:00 AM
@Dean,

I had a similar issue (whole of SSMS 2016). Disabled IPv6 on the NIC/Wifi adaptor and it resolved the issue.
Posted by Dean_Jackson on 12/2/2016 at 9:33 PM
I'm using a fresh install of Windows, a fresh install of the latest SSMS (version 16.5), and the remote database server is 2016 SP1 on a fresh install of Windows Server 2012 R2.

This is very frustrating.