SSMS goes Blue Screen when scrolling data tables with Intellipoint 6.2 mice - by simonech

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 6/4/2008 12:59:35 AM

Almost everytime I scroll a data table with SSMS I get a BSOD.
The problem started to happen after I installed the drivers that came with my Microsoft Presenter Mouse 8000 (Intellipoint version 6.2).

I've got a Dell Latitude D830 with the latest video drivers (NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M ver

I also noticed that before the BSOD the display seems not to refresh in the region around the mouse pointer.

My impression is that it has something to do with the zoom in feature of the presenter mouse since the "no-refresh" area seems to be exactly the size of the "zoom in" area of the mouse.

It's kind of a stopping bug for me since I'm both a developer and a presenter, and I need both SSMS and the presenter feature of the mouse to work together.

I wrote a blog post about it:
and it includes links to other posts about the same problem and 2 closed bugs on Connect.
So I guess it's quite a common problem affecting quite a lot of people.
Posted by zhaonameloc on 3/9/2009 at 8:00 PM
I too have the same problem when scrolling. I'm using a Microsoft laser mouse with Intellimouse 6.20. I haven't noticed any oddities specifically around the mouse pointer when it happens, but it has consistenly happened when using the mouse.
Posted by MarkMitchell on 7/16/2008 at 2:15 PM
I hit the BSOD issue while using SSMS on a Dual Core machine and this post identiifed exactly what I suspected. I also went out and found the newest driver for the Intellipoint - and installed. I have not had a problem with this since. The version of the ipoint.exe I now have is
which seems to be not creating the issue I had yesterday. Before the install - I had 5 BSOD's in 2 hours - and I have had it up all day today after the install and it is working fine.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/10/2008 at 5:29 AM
Hello Simonech,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I am marking this issue for a future release of SQL Server. The product team will look at this problem and update this space.

MS SQL Server team
Posted by rldawg on 6/9/2008 at 11:34 AM
I have a Dell Latitud D620 with a simple Intellimouse Optical USB mouse and I also have gotten the BSOD in SMS after installing the latest mouse drivers.
Posted by simonech on 6/4/2008 at 8:47 AM