New columns in Object Explorer Details are useless in hosted environment - by AaronBertrand

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 7/7/2008 10:06:11 AM

Don't get me wrong.  I think the new columns we've added to Object Explorer Details are very valuable and provide very quick at-a-glance insight into all of the databases on our server(s) (similar to what TaskPad used to do in Enterprise Manager).

However, many of the columns make the entire view useless unless you have permissions to view that data on ALL databases on the server.  Which is never going to be the case when you are accessing your database in a hosted environment.

This is partially related to items 354322 / 354291 but I think this goes beyond the obvious error with columns like "Collation" when Auto-Close is enabled.  You can see my rant about that here:

While a lot of people work in closed environments, where they connect to SQL Server using sa or a domain admin account, a lot of people do not, and need this functionality to be more flexible.
Posted by Microsoft on 4/16/2011 at 10:39 PM
Aaron/All:

Formally closing the loop here.

The exception has been fixed and has been verified internally. It should be available in the next available public release of SQL Server 2008R2.

Regards to the UI, we do believe we have tried to get all the information that needs to be presented. There could be a few blank columns.

Please do take a look at the next release when it comes out, and if you feel strongly about any of the UI issues, please do let us know, and we will triage it again separately.

Thanks for writing into Microsoft.

Cheers,

Chandramouli | Program Manager | SQL Server Manageability
Posted by Microsoft on 2/17/2010 at 2:00 PM
This issue has been partially addressed in the upcoming SQL 2008 R2 release.

* Accessing data in restricted databases isn't causing a failure to populate Object Explorer and Object Explroer Details anymore.
* Object Explorer and Object Explorer Details still show all databases, even the databases that user might not have access to.
* For restricted databases only a few columns like Name would show values. All inaccessible columns (Collation, Data Size, etc) would show blank values.

Posted by Beer Will Asahi on 4/2/2009 at 6:18 AM
I have just spent 4 days trying to get my hosting provider to fix my connection problem, and it turns out to be this? This should be fixed as soon as possible. Surely it isn't that big a deal? Please MS, fix now.
Posted by FozzieKev on 3/27/2009 at 6:56 AM
I've experienced this issue with two developers connecting to two different machines in the last week. We're slowly moving over to SQL 2008 from SQL 2000. If it weren't for people like Aaron and their blogs I could have spent days if not longer trying to get this sorted. Is a patch going to be made available or coming out in a new release?
Posted by MarkTab on 1/26/2009 at 4:37 PM
Thanks Aaron -- I received this error -- SSMS for 2008 connecting to a shared 2005 hosting environment
Posted by bobbydigiscale on 10/26/2008 at 2:04 PM
When will this issue be resolved? Any word on this?
Posted by Kelly08 on 7/14/2008 at 7:45 AM
I work in a development environment where we have many servers with SQL running on them. Any given server may or may not be accessible at any given point. This sort of issue will be a big problem in this environment as well.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/8/2008 at 9:07 AM
Aaron - good catch. I'll keep this one to be fixed.

- Buck