Update status bar colour when changing connections. - by Michael J. Swart

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 8/14/2008 7:28:06 AM

In SQL Server Management Studio 2008, there is an option to assign status bar colors to different connections. When new query windows are opened. The color of the status bar takes the custom color that was set in the server registration's connection properties (or the default if none was set).

If the connection is changed subsequently. The color of the status bar remains unchanged. See attached wmv.
Posted by aardsoft on 2/28/2014 at 4:05 AM
I have been using the 'Use Custom Colour' option for the connection and I find it very useful. However the bug mentioned here can be very dangerous. I would second AIBMass and others that when fixing the bug it would be very useful to extend the functionality. For example I would find it useful if we could set different colours to the Text editor background for different server connections. Indeed to be really useful I would like to be able to set the colour of the text editor background for individual databases within a connection.
Posted by Andersson-Johan on 11/6/2013 at 5:57 AM
The problem exists in 2012 as well. When one write a query in the editor and choose to change the connection by hitting the context -button and choosing the Connection => Change Connection...
This opens up for making updates to production environment as it should be Red (prod.environment) instead of Green(dev.environment). Very.. very nasty bug..
Posted by Giss68 on 4/18/2013 at 8:00 AM
Sorry can we change the color of the text as well
Posted by Giss68 on 4/18/2013 at 8:00 AM
can we change the color as well
Posted by AIBMass on 2/29/2012 at 8:37 AM
Can we please have the colors apply to the tabs as well? Coloring the status bar doesn't help select the tab you want. And...perhaps the color of the tab and status bar can be a function of the database as well as the server.
Posted by Sanjay [MSFT] on 8/10/2011 at 9:39 PM
Hi! Michael, thank you for writing to Microsoft.

This bug and a related connect bug (https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/504418) have been fixed in SSMS in SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1. Unfortunately, the fix did not make it in time for SSMS in Denali CTP3 and will be available in a subsequent release. Meanwhile, please take a look at SSMS in SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 and tell us if the color coding scenarios reported in the connect bugs are working as you expect.

Sanjay Nagamangalam
Principal Program Manager, SQL Server Manageability
Posted by openshac on 3/22/2011 at 6:40 AM
When is this issue going to be fixed? It's actually more dangerous with the current bug than not having the functionality at all.
Posted by Michael J. Swart on 1/12/2011 at 9:12 AM
Talking to myself but the bug hasn't been fixed in Denali CTP
Posted by Sideout on 12/5/2010 at 5:44 AM
While looking at this comment, please also consider coloring both the top and bottom of the window:

Posted by vkirkpat on 10/15/2010 at 4:54 AM
It is incomprehensible that Microsoft does not believe this bug to be worthy of fixing in pre-R2 2008. Surely there have been Production DML statements executed because of this. Unbelievable Microsoft.
Posted by MJS2010 on 3/8/2010 at 1:36 PM
I agree that this bug takes what is otherwise an extremely helpful feature and makes it too dangerous to consider using.

I thought the explanation by mjswart (no relation, despite the similar name) was very clear and did not understand Karthik's confusion.

It seems to me that this should be relatively easy to fix, where every connection, regardless of how it is initiated, sets off an event that calls a method to color the statusbar.
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 11/30/2009 at 3:06 AM
You should consider this bug in conjunction with another very similar one: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=504418
Posted by Jamie Thomson on 11/30/2009 at 3:05 AM
I seemingly don't have the ability to download the WMVs but nevertheless I concur with everything that mjswart has said. I would rather that the ability to specify a color for a query window didn't exist rather than have this potentially very dangerous bug.
Imagine if I opened query window against a development machine but later changed it to a produciton machine. If I trust the color of the query window then I might unwittingly execute DML against a production server.

This is a bad bad bad implementation of this feature and needs fixing!

Posted by Michael J. Swart on 10/19/2009 at 8:30 AM
A relevant blog post by Buck Woody:
Posted by Michael J. Swart on 11/26/2008 at 6:24 AM
Any updates?
Posted by Michael J. Swart on 8/26/2008 at 8:01 PM
Karthik, Can you not see the wmv files I've attached? I do my best to be clear.

When I say change connection, I mean click the "Change connection" icon in the task bar and specify a new server name. After clicking okay, the current query window is now connected to a different server.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/26/2008 at 8:41 AM
Hi mjswart,

Thank you for reporting the problem to us. Can you please clarify your point "6. Change connection and specify a different server"

By this did you mean you changed the connection information "Server name" in the server registration or you meant you created a new server registration without any changes to the Custom color properties?