SSMS 2008 fails to import SQL Instances registered in SSMS 2005 - by Kurt Moskal

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 9/4/2008 1:03:49 PM

I installed the SQL Server 2008 client tools on my Windows XP workstation – I did a side-by side install. When I open SSMS 2008 it prompts me with the following messagebox:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
------------------------------
There are SQL Server 2005 Management Studio registered servers on this system. Do you want to add them into Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio? Adding the server registration information has no effect on the servers themselves.
------------------------------
BUTTONS:

I press the yes button and I get the following error:

TITLE: Previously Registered Servers
------------------------------
The operation 'Upgrade' failed. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.RegisteredServers)
For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.0.1600.22+((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414+)&LinkId=20476
------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Key not valid for use in specified state.
 (System.Security)
------------------------------
BUTTONS:
OK
Posted by Maassql on 8/5/2010 at 8:50 AM
Seriously, why would one want / expect as part of the import of an xml file that every server one has access to be contacted? Isn't the feature primarily for large lists of servers? In my case, all are behind a firewall. Poor design. If you have to keep the 'test connection' part in, at the very least, skip to the next server
Posted by DaveMac on 5/25/2010 at 10:03 AM
"not a common enough customer scenario"?? I had no idea MSFT ignored errors simply because it doesn't affect enough people. Well it's affecting me too. I had at least 30 registered servers organized neatly in several folders under SQL 2005 and now my Dev Edition SQL 2008 won't recognize them. This is disasterious! I am on Vista. PLEASE HELP! It's been a couple of years since this problem was reported, there must be a solution?
Posted by Microsoft on 6/30/2009 at 2:52 PM
Hello Kmoskal,

Unfortunately, this issue was triaged as "won't fix" since this is not a common enough customer scenario. If this issue critically affects your usage of registered servers, then please reopen the bug.

Thanks,
Morgan
Posted by CharissaJB123 on 11/4/2008 at 12:12 PM
I notice in the error above (SQL_PreRelease). I am not using a PreRelease. I am using SQL Server 2008 Developers Edition.
Posted by CharissaJB123 on 11/4/2008 at 12:09 PM
I am having same error but on a Vista system. Checked all my registrations in 2005 and they are valid.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/5/2008 at 5:32 PM
Hello Kmoskal,

Thank you for reporting this problem. Can you check if the data connection information you have mentioned for the Registered Server in SSMS 2005 are still valid? From the error message it looks like some db connection(s) may be stale.

Thanks,