Db Require Filestream, FileStream not enabled, misleading error message - by Paul A Nielsen

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 10/7/2008 2:48:22 PM

If the database requires filestream (e.g. AdventureWorks) and the server currectly has Filestream disabled, the error message is:

Database 'AdventureWorks2008' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space.  See the SQL Server errorlog for details.

The Log doesn't report any info.

Posted by Chris Lively on 7/24/2011 at 5:00 PM
This is happening after installing SP2. I tried disabling filestream first, installing sp2, the enabling filestream. My server is now completely hosed.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/13/2011 at 4:10 AM

We took a look at this bug along with several others recently. Unfortunately, triaging it against other critical bugs, I do not think we would get to investigating this in the near future. However, we have taken note of this internally, and when we revisit this functionality in the future, we will try and get this resolved.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

Chandramouli | Program Manager | SQL Server Manageability
Posted by Neil345 on 2/4/2009 at 7:59 AM
After upgrading from SQL 2005 Express to SQL 2008 Express I found that my application database would no longer show itself in the SQL 2008 Server Studio Management (SSMS) database tree (also note that in this scenario it will not even show newly created databases) but it runs ok on my VB.Net application. However, I frequently have to manually restart the server using Server Configuration Manager. If the application is up and running and I then start SSMS, it displays a similar error as posted above, here is my error message:-

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&LinkId=20476

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Cannot create file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\RaceXP_log.LDF' because it already exists. Change the file path or the file name, and retry the operation.
Database 'RaceXP' cannot be opened due to inaccessible files or insufficient memory or disk space. See the SQL Server errorlog for details. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5170)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.00.1600&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=5170&LinkId=20476

I have mucked about with various settings and achieved various error messages including 945, I am not an expert and I have found the upgrade so difficult and complicated but I have got my appication talking to the new server, however, I smell a bug and tried to track it down in the forums, it seems to be related to 'user instances' and a complication arising from an existing 'instance' that got mixed up when the server was upgraded. It may also be related to moving or copying my database into other directories. I cannot get to the bottom of this problem and hope that a future bug fix will help.

Posted by Srini [MSFT] on 10/27/2008 at 5:24 PM
Hi Paul,
    In this case, when a server is restarted after disabling the filestream, the database containing the filestream is kept offline. If you look at the SQL log, it has explicit errors saying
    Error: 5591, Severity: 16, State: 5.
     FILESTREAM feature is disabled.
     Error: 5105, Severity: 16, State: 14.
    A file activation error occurred. The physical file name 'C:\Filestream Data\<filestream filegroup name>' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation.

Since server restart is a non-interactive operation, log file is the only place where such restore/reattach errors can be logged.
Since the database was not restored/reattached to the server, you get the message 945 when I try to connect to the database. We are keeping this bug alive to improve the SSMS experience to indicate that the database is offline in the UI.

Srini Acharya
Posted by Srini [MSFT] on 10/9/2008 at 9:53 AM
    Thanks for your feedback on the error message. I agree that the error message needs to be improved to give more specific cause and remedy here. We will investigate this further to see if this can be fixed in the next release vehicle for SQL server.

Srini Acharya