Reporting Services Web Services URL - Access Denied - by a78special

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 10/10/2008 12:26:27 AM

When I installed SQL Express 2008 with RS I used all the defaults. When I click the Web Service link from the Reporting Services Configuration Manager (http://laptop:8080/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS) I get a login prompt, I enter the userid that is the only user on my PC (Admin rights) but then I get the following error. It says to change the ASP.NET permissions but I'm not sure where.

Server Error in '/ReportServer_SQLEXPRESS' Application.

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))]

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Web.Services, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. Access is denied.]
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.WriteExceptionAsHtml(TextWriter responseWriter, Exception exceptionToDisplay, Int32 code, String optionalMessage) +0
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.WriteErrorResponse(Int32 code, String shortHttpDescription, Exception exception, String optionalMessage, Boolean errorResponseAsXml) +494
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportServiceHttpHandler.WriteErrorResponse(Int32 code, String shortHttpDescription, Exception exception, Boolean errorResponseAsXml) +85
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.Global.WriteServerError(Exception e) +44
   Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.Global.Application_BeginRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) +232
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +68
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +75

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3053; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3053

Any help would be much appreciated.

regards

Dave
Posted by Eikistein on 2/21/2009 at 9:43 AM
I have a fix:
I was getting the same error message and after some time I figured you have to setup an execution account. Ignore the observations, just setup an account and everything should be fine.
Posted by a78special on 11/24/2008 at 12:54 PM
Thanks for your help Albert. I couldn't spend any more time on this and had to move on with other work. I will be revisiting it in the future and will have a look at all my security etc.
regards
Dave
Posted by Microsoft on 11/24/2008 at 12:49 PM
I am closing this issue for now. I have not been able to understand why you are having this problem, though I suspect there is something specific about the security settings on your machine. Please reopen it if you have any further information.

-Albert
Posted by Microsoft on 11/6/2008 at 11:19 AM
You should see some messages in the log, either login success or failure, after trying to connect to RS. What messages do you see?
Posted by a78special on 11/5/2008 at 10:28 PM
Yes, I did and there was no errors. I have even tried to uninstall SQL Server 2008 and reinstalling the entire package. That didn't work I still have the original problem.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/5/2008 at 12:07 PM
Have you had a chance to look at the security log?
Posted by Microsoft on 10/20/2008 at 7:10 PM
The behavior looks like it's still failing to authenticate your username.

I'm running out of things to try. One thing you might look at is the Event Viewer security log after trying to connect to RS. If you see a failure event, double-click it and post the details. If the security log is not enabled, you can enable it using the Group Policy editor, under LocalPolicies\Audit Policy. Enable "Audit account logon events" and "Audit logon events", both success and failure.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/20/2008 at 7:10 PM
The behavior looks like it's still failing to authenticate your username.

Posted by a78special on 10/20/2008 at 2:15 PM
Is there any update on this ?? I now don't even get the access denied message but the page does not display anything ??
Posted by a78special on 10/15/2008 at 7:13 PM
Hi Albert,

I tried that. I logged off and on the PC then tried the RS Web Service page again. It asked for a login which I put "Dave" (this is the user on the PC). I clicked ok and the login prompt reappeared again. I did it again and the login prompt disappeared. The RS web screen appeared as blank. I have attached 2 screen dumps.

Dave
Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2008 at 6:35 PM
HTTP requests to Report Server authenticate as Guest, even though ForceGuest is off. I don't think this behavior is caused by RS, it must be something in XP. I wonder if other ASP.Net apps are affected?

Enabling Basic authentication may workaround the problem. In the RSReportServer.config file, locate the AuthenticationTypes element and replace the contents with <RSWindowsBasic/>:

<AuthenticationTypes>
    <RSWindowsBasic/>
</AuthenticationTypes>

This is less than ideal, but since you have a blank password, it should not compromise security.
Posted by a78special on 10/14/2008 at 2:16 PM
Hi Albert, The ForceGuest Reg value was already 0 and the "Simple File Sharing" Option was already unchecked.

Dave
Posted by Microsoft on 10/14/2008 at 12:23 PM
Strange. Turning on that option does definitely produce the symptoms you describe. I don't understand why you would be seeing the behavior with the option turned off.

Clould you check the security setting in the registry? Open the key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa and check the value of "ForceGuest". It should be 0. Also, check that "simple file sharing" is off. In Windows Explorer. go to Tools\Folder Options\View tab. Uncheck "Use simple file sharing".
Posted by a78special on 10/13/2008 at 7:14 PM
Thanks Albert, I checked the Security as suggested. I got an error when I tried to open "Local security Policy" about "The Grioup Policy security settings that apply to this machine could not be determined...." It seemed to open successfully anyway. I checked the "Network access: Sharing and security" and it was already set to "Classic - local users authenticate as themselves".
regards
Dave
Posted by a78special on 10/13/2008 at 7:11 PM
The user I used was LAPTOP\Dave. This is the user I log in as (only one user on PC). It is an Admin.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/13/2008 at 5:28 PM
There is a XP security setting which forces all network logins to use the Guest account. It looks like this may have caused your problem. Open Control Panel\Administrative Tools\Local Security Policy. Navigate to Local Policies\Security Options. Check the setting for "Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts". If it is set to "Guest only", change it to "Classic".

-Albert
Posted by Microsoft on 10/13/2008 at 4:49 PM
Thanks for posting the HTTP log. In the HTTP log, it indicates that a request was received from "LAPTOP\Guest". Is "LAPTOP\Guest" the username that you typed?

-Albert