SQL Server Management Studio gets confused dealing with multiple displays - by Andrew Simms

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 12/21/2008 4:07:23 PM

SSMS tends to get attached to the display configuration it was started under.  If I fire up SSMS on my multi-display desktop, things like the "Windows" menu item will cause the list of Windows to appear in the middle of one of my displays (not a problem).  However, if I later log out and log back in remotely, using a single display remote desktop, the window list and sometimes even open/save dialog boxes will end up opening off screen where I cannot reach them.
Posted by Soe Tun on 3/2/2017 at 8:26 AM
As Tim Yocum stated below, [Filter Settings] dialog window pops up on ANOTHER monitor instead of the monitor the SQL Management Studio is currently open.
I am on Windows 10 Pro with SQL Server Management Studio version 13.0.16106.4.
Why was this closed when it is clearly NOT fixed?
Posted by Jenk123 on 12/5/2016 at 4:09 AM
Why is this closed when it is clearly not fixed?
Posted by Tim Yocum (g) on 5/17/2016 at 6:39 AM
This is still happening on Windows 10 with multiple monitors. I am unable to get the connect dialog to appear even with the suggested work arounds in the comments. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible. This is ridiculous.
Posted by The Dude on 3/8/2016 at 9:03 AM
2016 and this still isn't fixed!
Posted by BJJones13 on 10/1/2015 at 12:28 PM
One Work Around that I have found is to make the SQL Management Studio window active. Hit Alt-Spacebar. M for Move and then hit one of the arrow keys. After hitting an arrow key the mouse with then "Grab" the connection window and you can move it to where you want. the next connection window will still end up in the same place though after you shut things down. Stops the need for disconnecting windows or killing the process though.
Posted by Ed Avis on 8/12/2015 at 8:05 AM
Please reopen this bug - as noted by others it is still unfixed. The workaround with Alt-Tab, Alt-Space, M works for me though.
Posted by Stuart R. Ainsworth on 2/5/2015 at 9:18 AM
This continues to happen with SSMS 2014. The only way I could fix it was to bring my laptop screen level with my other monitors (i'll try Lee's workaround next time). This is an annoyance, but not sure why it's closed when it's still a bug.
Posted by Yogin on 11/17/2014 at 6:09 AM
Please make this priority and fix this. I connect to many db servers as developers, and every time i have to move the window back. This is so frustrating.
Posted by Lee Chetwynd on 11/4/2014 at 5:02 AM
I have a dual screen set-up. I'm running windows 8.1. I have had this issue with Management studio 2008 R2, 2012 and 2014.

If I drag the management studio screen across to my 2nd display, and then close it down, when I open it again, it opens on the 2nd display. This is what I would expect. Unfortunately, the connect to server dialogue box is hidden from view and the main screen remains out of focus. It remains unresposive, waiting for the dialog that can't be found. I have tried ctrl-alt-tab and ctrl-alt-esc to find it but to no avail.

The only way I can sort it is to kill off the process. switch to single screen and then open it.

I have discovered a little more information that may be helpful. This problem occurred because my dual screens were not level. My second screen was to the right and lower than my primary screen. I had configured this in the screen resolution settings so the pointer flowed from one to the other correctly. The connection dialog for SQL MS tries to appear in the centre level with the primary display and therefore off screen.

**Update**
I have now posted a workaround.
Posted by The Policeman on 1/7/2014 at 11:39 AM
Still get the same issue with SSMS with version details below;

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        10.50.4000.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                        10.50.4000.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        3.85.1132
Microsoft MSXML                        2.6 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        8.0.6001.18702
Microsoft .NET Framework                        2.0.50727.3649
Operating System                        5.1.2600
Posted by ohnobinki on 11/19/2013 at 7:26 AM
I see this issue with Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio    11.0.3128.0. Dialogues, such as the Delete Object dialogue, always show up on the same monitor regardless of which monitor ssms’s has been moved to. From the other comments, it sounds like I have to somehow get ssms to launch and initially open itself up on my second monitor if I want the dialogues to also show up there.
Posted by InZane1 on 7/4/2013 at 12:10 AM
This issue (still) isn't fixed. I'm having similar issues with SSMS 2012 and a dual screen setup. When I open SSMS 2012 the 'connect' dialog box is drawn at a location where I can't reach it.
When I want to connect to a database, I first have to disconnect my second screen, then start SSMS and connect to a DB and finally reconnect my second screen.

I'm running Win8 Pro (64), by the way.
Posted by Clarence Liu on 8/28/2012 at 11:55 AM
This issue clearly isn't fixed, you can reproduce the bug by having two screens and one decently offset vertically from the other, when SSMS opens the dialog is not on screen, you have to manually vertical align the screens every time to get the dialog on screen!
Posted by MacPad on 2/17/2011 at 12:45 AM
This problem also happens when you have two different sized monitors, i.e. laptop and screen. If SSMS is on the smaller screen it's height will be centered on the total height of the larger screen, even though the dialog is centered on the smaller screen's width it ignores the smaller screen height. The dialog box will appear well above the center height line and if the other screen is large enough the dialog box appears so high that you can't get to it!! My only work around has been to raise the screen "Change the appearance of your displays" section of the Screen Resolution settings.

Posted by Microsoft on 5/13/2010 at 6:53 PM
Hello Andrew,

This issue is fixed with a new shell in SSMS and the feature will be available in a future release.

Regards,
Eric
Posted by Microsoft on 1/2/2009 at 7:54 PM
Hi Andrew,
    thank you for your feedback. we can reproduce the problem, but hope it will go away when we adopt the new VS shell. Once we see what's happening, we will address this.
Bill Ramos
Posted by Microsoft on 1/2/2009 at 6:50 PM
Hi Andrew,
    Thank you for your feedback regarding the misbehavior of windows in SSMS. We hope that when we go to a new version of the VS shell, these issues will go away. We will keep this issue open until we know more.
Bill Ramos