SQL Reporting Services 2008 print rendering issue: font replacement/font missing/character space compression - by Cristian Gavrilut

Duplicate<br /><br />
		This item appears to be a duplicate of another existing Connect or internal item.<br /><br />

Status Resolved Workarounds
Opened 1/21/2009 5:28:28 AM

The reports this issue was identified were working fine on SQL Server 2005. In SQL Server 2008 (Standard 10.0.1600) Developer Edition or Developer or Enterprise Edition (10.0.1779)
the reports render on screen or exported to (PDF,Excel, Word) fine. The only affected is the print rendering which respects all the layout except that it looks like has a font replacement all across the report there is a new font being used that is causing some letters to blend together – resulting in some apparent misspellings. There is no character spacing between certain letters in a word, even overlapping letters and between others the space is larger than normal. Fonts being used are Arial 8pt, Bold or Normal. Also it looks like it's heavily bold.
Posted by David Laplante on 6/29/2011 at 7:32 AM
How can this be marked as resolved??

What is the fix ?
Posted by David Laplante on 11/17/2010 at 7:06 AM
I am having the same issue on SSRS 2008 (not R2) and the workaround of connecting to the developpement VM using another resolution (4:3 resolutions seem to work while 16:10 don't) does work but I am also getting the issue on sharepoint which is not accessed using a VM.

In any case, I don't mind the fonts being scrambled for developpement but once on sharepoint, the reports MUST be perfect. How to fix that ?

Please help! I don't have access to the SSRS server myself but if someone can confirm that the security update fixes the issue, I can then have someone apply it.

Also, for my dev VM, would applying the fix to the server where VMs reside fix the issue ?

Thanks in advance!
Posted by thanad on 8/2/2010 at 2:40 AM
Hi ,
We have the same issue after upgrading the SQL Server 2005 reports to SQL 2008 R2.
The machine runs Win 2003 R2 Std. 64 bit, and the issue solved after istall the http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=eb95e8d9-6ef5-4526-99d2-507e50de049b&displaylang=en#AdditionalInfo (KB958869) hot fix.

Thank's
Dimos
Posted by Microsoft on 7/9/2010 at 5:08 PM
Hi, We are closing this issue. Feel free to raise another connect item if you still see the problem after the fix applied.
-Thanks
Posted by piesitos on 5/26/2010 at 2:24 PM
Hi, we have exactly the same problem. We opened an incident to Microsoft but was closed because we could reproduce it (it was solved misteriously after a deploy of a .Net application, and we thought that all has been a bad nightmare). Now we have the problem again. We have Windows Server 2003 SP2 R2 x64 Std. Edition, SQL Server 2005 last SP and RS2008 with the last SP too and the problem reproduces again.

Tomorrow the client will found this error again and no solution except the workaround of exporting it to a PDF-Excel... If someone in Microsoft or wherever find a solution it would be great...

Thanks
Posted by Bessa on 3/23/2010 at 7:59 AM
Any Workaround anyone? I'm having this issue in a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine... none of this updates that you've being talk works for me...

Thanks in advance
Posted by Ste L on 1/15/2010 at 5:38 AM
The security patch is for Windows 2003, we are using Windows 2008 (64bit), so don't think it will help us. We still haven't found a solution and are going to contact microsoft support to try to get a solution.
Posted by jrush on 1/14/2010 at 12:20 PM
I tried the security patch & that didn't resolve the issue for me. I'm inclined to think it was something else you did and not the patch. Did you take any other steps aside from a reboot?
Posted by MWARNDT on 1/14/2010 at 9:55 AM
The patch found at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=eb95e8d9-6ef5-4526-99d2-507e50de049b&displaylang=en#AdditionalInfo (KB958869)resolved the issue for us. However, we will need to continue monitoring. The issue re-occurs sporadically and randomly.
Posted by Ste L on 1/14/2010 at 5:25 AM
We are also experiencing this problem, on both development and production servers.

Printed reports and documents look terrible and our clients are complaining thier reports, picking lists, delivery notes, invoices, etc are hard to read.

We urgently need a resolution to this problem.

Please can this problem be escalated and a fix provided?
Posted by Mame Shugotenshi on 12/18/2009 at 6:55 AM
I'm facing this problem as well by using Reporting Services (SQL Server 2008 Express Edition)
Basically the report is shown on Windows Form Report Viewer
Posted by Raman Haran on 11/24/2009 at 12:20 AM
Hi there-

We are facing this problem as well. But for us this is happening only if we install RS 2008 on a system which had RS 2005. Any help here will be greatly appreciated.
Posted by HousPharteen on 10/30/2009 at 12:42 PM
We are on 10.0.2734.0 in sharepoint integrated mode and have this problem. This is a MAJOR bug!!! Please, please work on it...
Posted by workingmandead on 10/29/2009 at 9:43 PM
I am having this problem too. Applied SP1 but it was no help. I am currently on version 10.0.2531.0. Our project is in major trouble if we can't find a solution so any info would be helpful.
Posted by thewaterboy on 10/27/2009 at 8:20 AM
I too had a case open with MS Support regarding this issue. We were both able to reproduce the issue and it was forwarded to the SQL Developer team. In the meantime however, the issue seemed to fix itself on my machine and the support tech's machines after this security update came out: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-052.mspx

I saw that the The Report Viewer component was affected by this update so I contacted my support tech and he was able to confirm for me that indeed the font issue was fixed in this security update.

Posted by hrkiweb on 10/23/2009 at 11:48 PM
Are there any news regarding this problem? I am experiencing same problem with Report Server 2008, fonts are appearing to be in different dpi when printed than screen preview and PDF.
Posted by MWARNDT on 9/4/2009 at 10:44 AM
I am experiencing the same problem. I opened a case with Microsoft, case number 109070256056893, and they attempted to fix the problem with a hotfix; however, the issue still re-appears. Other customers of Microsoft are experiencing the issue, but Microsoft is unable to replicate the problem even with a customer's image. Therefore, Microsoft archived my case until they are able to resolve the issue.

This is very disappointing especially in a high availability environment since the workaround is restarting the server. I requested updates from Microsoft regarding this case but I have not received feedback since the case was archived.
Posted by mario.NET on 8/31/2009 at 12:47 PM
I contacted Chris B. at Microsoft (http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisbal/). As of 07/28, they don't know the cause of this, so there's no fix either :-( He suggests opening a support case. Very disappointing.
Posted by thewaterboy on 8/26/2009 at 12:46 PM
The RSClientPrint control was affected in a Security update:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-052 – Critical
Vulnerabilities in GDI+ Could Allow Remote Code Execution (954593) (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-052.mspx)

Perhaps the problem was introduced then?
Posted by reason8 on 8/18/2009 at 7:49 AM
We are experiencing this problem also after switching from sql server 2005 ssrs to sql server 2008 (all latest updates). Have tried many font/settings combination with no joy. Because of the automatic font substitution (looks like some kind of 14pt bold san serif font) our users are refusing to accept sql server 2008 reports. Have added this to my watchlist. I see this was reporting in Jan 2009. After 7 months of reporting this problem there's got to be some kind of workaround available...right? Am i missing something?
Posted by Corybz on 8/13/2009 at 6:57 AM
Applied SP1 yesterday and fonts are still overlapping. I also removed/reinstalled the RSClientprint ActiveX control add-on after applying SP1.    I'm currently at 10.0.2531.0 after bouncing the box.
Posted by srepphan on 8/12/2009 at 12:30 PM
Still occurring even after installing SQL_Server_2008_SP1_Cumulative_Update_3/10.00.2723.00
Posted by davisroan on 7/17/2009 at 2:52 AM
Hi All,
I got the same problem...I tried Arial, TimesNewRoman with the same result. On the screen is ok but printing out got letters blend together. Any hotfix??
Posted by LouALOH on 7/6/2009 at 6:29 AM
Addendum to my previous post - The 8pt Arial font issue was tested this past weekend in our development environment after installing SQL 2008 SP 1. Application of SP 1 DID correct the issue for us. Thank You.
Posted by LouALOH on 7/2/2009 at 6:27 AM
We are also experiencing this issue - specifically with the 8pt Arial font - We have not yet installed SP 1 - Can someone from MS please advise if the original issue has been either fixed in SP 1 or a subsequent separate hotfix? We are trying to replace a large number of existing Cognos reports with SSRS reports and the "look" has to be the same. It is a significant issue for our operation. Thank You...
Posted by beancycler on 6/18/2009 at 2:45 PM
Same problem... this is a rather severe problem... any updates?
Posted by mario.NET on 6/6/2009 at 2:10 AM
Same here. Is there a fix for this?
Posted by liebs19 on 4/30/2009 at 1:21 PM
We are having the same problem. I do not see this specific problem listed in the April release of Cumulative Update #4. Has this been fixed?
Posted by Natron2000 on 3/30/2009 at 7:22 AM
Hello Chris,
We are experiencing this issue as well using the Garamond TrueType font. Is there somewhere I can add a screenshot, if you still need it? Also, do you have an updated timeline for your cumulative update? Could you provide a separate hotfix? We plan on using this in production in the next few weeks.
Posted by Michael Shane Hansen on 2/19/2009 at 4:11 PM
I'm having the same problem. Is there a fix for it yet.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/27/2009 at 6:13 PM
Hello,

We recently fixed an issue that matches what you describe. The SQL Server 2008 cumulative update containing this fix is currently slated for release in March 2009. Can you provide a RDL and a screenshot that exhibits the issue so that we can be sure our recent fix will address your problem?

Many thanks,