Evaluation Expired unable to use Management Studio - by Jamie Downs

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 2/18/2009 1:25:03 AM

Having run the Edition Upgrade process on RTM Evaluation Instances.  I am unable to upgrade the SSMS, the SQL Server Engine upgrades but I am unable to get the management studio to work.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2012 at 2:44 PM
Thanks James for verifying the workaround. We will consider making a fix for this in a future release.

[SQL Server Team]
Posted by James Snape _BNPP_ on 11/11/2010 at 5:50 AM
This repros on SQL 2008 R2 (and the workaround is fine too).
Posted by wueltschey on 4/2/2009 at 2:46 PM
I had this issue on my laptop where I had SQL 2008 Express installed. I also had the full version of SSMS installed, since I attach to our server running MSSQL 2008 Standard. We upgraded the server to the from the trial to full standard version, but I couldn't update the tools installed on my laptop. The above solution didn't work for me. There was a problem with the checksum one of the registry keys. Running the following registry patch fixed the problem.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\ClientSetup]
"SQLBinRoot"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Shared\\"
"SQLPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Tools"
"SqlToolsPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Tools\\Binn\\VSShell\\Common7\\IDE\\"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server\\100\\Tools\\Binn\\"
"VSToolsPath"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\\Common7\\IDE\\PrivateAssemblies\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\ClientSetup\CurrentVersion]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\ClientSetup\SQLCEBinRoot]
"3.5"="C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\\v3.5\\Tools\\"
Posted by Jonathan Kehayias on 2/20/2009 at 12:31 PM
See the following blog post that shows exactly how this can be fixed. I tested this on a VPC to validate and test the solution to the problem:

Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 2/20/2009 at 9:08 AM
I've closed this bug duplicate of a known issue. This issue will be fixed in our Katmai SP1. Until then to work around the issue you can update the CommonFiles Registry Value to 3 in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\ConfigurationState Registry Hive.

Amy Lewis
Posted by Jonathan Kehayias on 2/20/2009 at 6:07 AM
See the work arounds for how to get around this issue. You can make a single registry change to get the upgrade installed.
Posted by jjs781_yahoo.com on 2/19/2009 at 11:53 AM
Yep, same issue. BIDS opens fine, but Management Studio displaying "Evaluation period has expired" although this was upgraded to the Enterprise Edition prior to expiration. OS: Windows 2003 EE SP2. Running on VM.
Posted by Renatuzz on 2/19/2009 at 5:32 AM
Same Message after Edition Upgrade to Standard from expired Trial (Windows XP). Reinstallation from DVD does not helped.
Posted by B11FE44C-3137-4997-8794-0D065C280689 on 2/19/2009 at 2:52 AM
Have the same issue in a customers environment after Edition Upgrade to Standard from Trial. Only difference is they run Server 2008 Standard x64. TRied reinstalling Mgmt Studio from scratch without result.