SQL 2008 SP1 Fails with error code 0x84B20001. - by Shah - MSFT

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 3/7/2009 8:28:42 AM

Installing SP1 Fails.

Server has two instances. Default instance of SQL Server 2008 and named instance of SQL Server 2005 SP1.  Installation is failing with error on "SQL_Replication_core_inst".

Below are some of the things i did but the error was still there.
Disabled Publisher/Distributor on default instance
Disabled Publisher/Distributor on Named instance.
Disabled CDC on default instance.
Stopped SQL Services on default instance

Posted by Barrakoda on 12/16/2013 at 9:40 AM
I had to uninstall "SQL Server 2008 R2 Books Online" and then the upgrade worked.
Posted by Smudge04 on 7/26/2012 at 1:29 AM
The workaround posted by Trevor Seward sorted my system the registry keys I set to 1 were in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\ConfigurationState and this solved the "SQL 2008 SP1 Fails with error code 0x84B20001" windows update error that had been bugging me for months!

Posted by zelebro on 9/29/2010 at 2:46 PM

i have the problem, to but the workaround dont work. I got the messege that the integration services runs with a wrong User/Password. Is there any way update to sp1 without deinstallation/repairing the integration services? please help!

Posted by Xaidi1 on 4/9/2010 at 5:37 AM
I have windows 7 and I am try to install SQL Server and getting this error. does any one know why????????

thanks in advance
Posted by Nicholas Piasecki on 7/5/2009 at 3:36 PM
See my workaround on the workarounds page. Make sure that you do "<<Repair shared components only>>", not a particular instance, when doing the Repair wizard.
Posted by RobD2 on 6/25/2009 at 9:57 AM
Same deal here, edition upgrade from Ent Eval. No fix? Closed (By Design)?
Posted by OldPepper1 on 5/13/2009 at 5:00 PM
Got same problem with single instance of SQL Server. Was upgrade edition from Ent Eval to Workgroup.
Repair does not help.
Posted by jflanner on 4/15/2009 at 4:11 AM
I am having the same issue. Per instruction to repair instance - can you be more specific? Does this mean run setu0p0 from the original dvd and choose a repair option? (Note: My installation was developer edition. No evaluation edition ever installed on this machine.)
Posted by HishamMortada on 4/8/2009 at 3:19 PM
got the same error, did anyone know how to fix it ?
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 3/13/2009 at 1:03 PM
I've closed this bug - if my previous advice did not help you resolve your issue please reactivate this bug and provide details.

Amy Lewis
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 3/11/2009 at 11:15 AM
Your logs indicate that your existing install needs to be Repair. Please Repair your instance and try applying SP1 again.

Amy Lewis
Posted by Jamie Downs on 3/11/2009 at 4:23 AM
I too am having the same issue. Was the instance originally an evaluation version which you had to upgrade?
Posted by Shah - MSFT on 3/9/2009 at 2:16 PM
Attached are log files from two different runs of the installation which both failed.
Posted by Amy [MSFT] on 3/9/2009 at 1:20 PM
Please attach your logs so we can investigate.

Logs: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\log