I have the following problem, i think its a bug in SQL SERVER 2008:
I have a Domain with one sql server installed on W2K3 SP2, with many sql
server and express installed on XP SP2, the overall number is 40, all are
2008 entriprise RC0 or 2008 advanced express (all are using single instance per device, some of them are using default instance name and other are using named instance named). My problem is that, the instance name can some time not appear in the SQL
server management studio and some time is appeared. I checked the browser
services, all are working well with domain administrator account. The
TCP,named pipe,shared memory all are active and working and the UDP broadcast is enabled on CISCO switches and the firewalls are disabled. I think the
problem is with the number of server/express per domain or its a bug. i think the number of sql servers per domain affect the overflow of browser servers.
I read about this issue several MS doc's. some of them said this is a bug.
but when he described the bug he said it can be solved by adding the sql
servers to AD. I added one SQL server on w2k3 to AD (This makes the problem solved if we are trying to browes the instance names from SQL management studio
but when the developers try to discover servers by using V.B6 + DMO its still not working).
Other servers on XP are not added to AD since i can not add those servers/express even when i implement the procedure discribed by MS.
best regards and thanks