Cannot connect to wmi provider. error 0x8007007e - by henry_dev

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 5/6/2009 3:48:11 PM

Cannot connect to WMI provider. You do not have permmission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with SQL Server Configuration Manager. The specified module could not be found. [0x8007007e]

The above is the error I get when I try to connect sql server configuration manager. I have upgraded to SQL Server 2008 but have SQLEXPRESS client installed.
Posted by evry1falls on 8/1/2012 at 6:37 PM
Try this solution - it worked for me
Posted by Dylan Pittman on 8/19/2011 at 11:41 AM
I have the same error on SQL Server 2008 R2 64bit (SP1) (Windows server2008 R2).
as posted earlier - thanks!
Posted by Microsoft on 6/17/2011 at 1:13 PM
This is issue is verified by test team in the latest version of sql server the same issue was not reproduced. If the issue persists in the previously released version of sql server, please reopen the case.
Posted by WoodsBG on 6/2/2011 at 8:20 AM
Ran mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof".
but this is throwing an error number: 0x80071099 Description: The operation identifier is not valid. Now what?
Posted by Eric Nixon on 8/18/2010 at 10:31 AM
We are receiving the same error but on 32 bit hardware and OS. Uninstalled SQL 2005 and installed SQL 2008 and now get this error. All the posts and KBs I find speak of mixing 64 and 32 bit installations but this does not apply to our environment. I was able to run the mofcomp (with modified path of course) and while it ran successfully the error persists. Anyone get anywhere with this?
Posted by Idol-111 on 2/17/2010 at 1:05 PM
I have the same error on SQL Server 2008 64bit (Windows server2008).
It was fixed: mofcomp "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof".
Posted by Bradley Ball on 11/30/2009 at 12:28 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to Ravi Varma the posted solution worked for me.

I had a SQL 2005 sp 2 box that I was checking before i did an upgrade to SQL 2008. I got the exact same error.

"cannot connect to wmi provider. you do not have permissions or the server is unreachable. note that you can only mange sql server 2005 server with sql server configuration manager."

I double check that the AD groups I was in were in the admin group, and still could not connect. there were no errors in the error logs to support the error I was seeing.

from a command prompt i ran the following command

C:\ mofcomp "C:\program files\microsoft sql server\90\shared\sqlmgmproviderxpsp2up.mof"

after that I was able to see that the MOF ile has been successfully parsed, and I was able to open up Configuration Manager right away, and it was working.
Posted by Binu M A on 11/15/2009 at 9:16 PM
Hi,

I also faced the same issue.

Kindly assist
Posted by joseph.mills on 6/26/2009 at 12:22 PM
I'm also seeing this error message, but my steps to get it were different.

I have a 2 node cluster running Windows 2003 R2 64bit on each one.
I have clustered install of 64bit SQL 2005 SP3 Ent. Workgroup apps installed on node A only.
I have clustered install of 64bit SQL 2008 SP1 Ent. Workgroup apps installed on both nodes.

On node B i installed a stand alone (non-clustered) named instance of SQL 2005 SP3 Ent. we'll call it nodeB\Inst2.

I did the install, and patched it to SP3. And tried to run the SQL Server Configuration Manager to alter the Port number. That is when I got the error message.

"Cannot connect to WMI Provider. You do not have permission or the server is unreachable. Note that you can only manage SQL Server 2005 servers with the SQL Server Configuration Manager. The specified module could not be found. [0x8007007e] "

I tried to run the MSC directly from Windows Explorer but still got the error. And now I can't get the SQL Server Configuration Manager for SQL Server 2008 to run either. It would run before I tried to run the .MSC for 2005 by hand.

As a work around to my setting of the Port; I was able to do it via direct Registry changes to the TCP settings for that instance. But i fear this could be a problem that might affect more than just the config manager tool.

I also have both clustered instances running on Node A at this time, and have not tried to fail them back over to Node B and test them.

Any help or update would be appreciated.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/24/2009 at 12:18 PM
Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into this issue.