NOT save rdl.data file with report - by Todd C

Status Active Workarounds
Type Suggestion Repros 1
Opened 6/19/2009 10:23:02 AM

There should be an option at the Report file level that allows or disallows the saving of an rdl.data file along side the report.

There are cases during development when the designer will want to force the renderer to make another round-trip to the server to get fresh data each time the report is previewed.

There may also be cases where (corporate policy?) where the saving of cached data to a local hard drive is dis-allowed. As it exists now, you would need to manually search your drive for all rdl.data files to be deleted.

Also, there needs to be some documentation about the rdl.data file in BOL!
Posted by BobDavis463 on 2/21/2017 at 1:34 PM
I've recently been evangelizing about what a super job MS did fixing many issues plaguing SSRS.    This is one that seems like a no-brainer to fix, carries a very low 'potential-break' liability, and would prevent much frustration for SSRS developers.    Please oh please could it be fixed, documented, and put to bed?    I work for a large Utah-based consumer of MS products, and have been pushing SSRS2016.    It would be super to know that MS still listens to customers.
Posted by Brian Knopp on 4/26/2016 at 6:57 AM
Having worked for almost six years at MS, I'm afraid that the comments I've seen here from MSFT representatives translate as "suck it up, buttercup - we're not going to fix it."

I've written a little sweeper routing in PowerShell that sweeps through my SSRS development folder and deletes the [scathing expletive deleted] things, and I run that sweeper every few minutes.

Does that workaround suck like a two-bit crack whore? Yes. Is it still better than losing an hour trying to tie development reports back to production at 9:45 p.m. the night before a deadline, only to discover that all of MY work is right and the fault lies at Microsoft's feet? Abso-effing-lutely.
Posted by Todd C on 3/23/2016 at 11:30 AM
So, Brad Syputa, I assume you are with Microsoft and the design team for Reporting Services? I don't know about now, but at the time, there was NO documentation about that setting in the config file for SSRS. Consider getting some added.
So you acknowledge that if that setting is set to True or False should determine if, when going to preview a report, determines if it refreshes the .rdl.data file or not. Sounds good. That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Set one way, you use the data cached in the .rdl.data file when you preview. Change the setting and what is supposed to happen? It's supposed to GO AND GET FRESH DATA for the report AND refresh the cache data file, yes? I'm here to tell you that does not happen.
Posted by Brad Syputa on 3/23/2016 at 10:28 AM
Hi Todd C,

I saw your post while trying to find documentation on the rdl.data file. The current design is for preview to use a .data file.

The setting for CacheDataForPreview is for whether preview should refresh the rdl.data file when switching from design to preview.

We do have a small team (first time in 4 years) working on tools. We are going to fix some of the issues, this is not one we plan to change.

Posted by Todd C on 6/25/2015 at 9:29 AM
Going on 6 (SIX) years now.
Microsoft *claims* to have fixed this but obviously it isn't fixed.
Mark my words, it will NEVER get resolved as MS is pushing everybody toward the new reporting model of Excel, PowerPivot, PowerView, PowerQuery, and Power BI.

My only consolation is that with THOSE products, there are direct feedback buttons in the tools themselves, AND, more importantly, THEY respond, usually within a day or so. I've traded DOZENS of emails with the product development teams for those products, fixing user interface issues, reporting bugs, getting latest releases (one product or the other gets a new release about every month).

I've really lost faith with the CONNECT site here, and have stopped reporting bugs and suggestions. Sean, I agree with you. We're 'shooting arrows over the castle wall in the hopes of hitting a moving target on the other side!'
Posted by Brian Knopp on 6/25/2015 at 9:09 AM
I've added the "CacheDataForPreview" key, set to "false", in my RSReportDesigner.config file. It made no difference, even after the Microsoft Troubleshooting 101 step of rebooting my machine.
Posted by Todd C on 10/18/2013 at 2:18 PM
Let's continue the rant, shall we?

I initiated this post and I don't get notified when others, such as yourself (SeanTheProgrammer) add Comments or Workarounds.

Sounds like the CONNECT site could use some help as well.

Makes we want to go out and buy a MAC!
Posted by SeanTheProgrammer on 9/4/2013 at 10:40 AM
We were really excited to upgrade to 2008 R2 from 2005. Now I wish we hadn't. To have a bug like this sit out for so long also makes me want to advise against any further upgrades because I fear that newer releases of Microsoft SQL products may have other seemingly simple bugs that are seemingly ignored. How hard could this be to fix? If it were me I'ld just have the .data file deleted after processing the click event from either the 'view report' button or refresh buttons. I hate to rant but this is a really disappointing bug to deal with for a software development company where all of our employees now need to add a manual file deletion step to their testing methods. Unacceptable.

Please fix this. I'ld like to hope this will get resolved but unfortunately, based on others requests and the existing lifespan of this bug, I think my request is falling on deaf ears.
Posted by Todd C on 6/10/2013 at 10:12 AM
Next week will be 4 years since I submitted this issue!
Posted by alwaysprepared on 7/10/2012 at 11:58 AM
Just hit on this issue for the first time myself as a Newbie SSRS developer. This issue has been open over 3 years with no resolution?? I would prefer the solution be an option to Refresh the report with new data or cached data, as the developer sees fit. What is so difficult about this request??
Posted by LH_FVTC on 1/19/2012 at 7:27 AM
Post https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/651751/ssrs-report-preview-shows-stale-data is for this same issue and is listed as Closed, Fixed. It says in the comments per MS on 6-22-11: It has been fixed in the first service pack for SQL Server 2008 R2 (PCU1).

However, we are on SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU4 and the issue is NOT fixed. Please advise how/when this will be resolved.
Posted by Carolyn [MSFT] on 3/10/2011 at 12:26 AM
Thank you for providing this feedback. It is still being considered for a future release of SQL Server.
Posted by Todd C on 6/18/2010 at 6:20 AM
After editing the tag <Add Key="CacheDataForPreview" Value="false" /> in the RSReportDesigner.Config from its prior value of True to False, I still see that my system is caching data into <report name>.rdl.data files.

What's going on? How do I stop the caching of data in Visual Studion when I preview a report?

This seems to be a bug now!
Posted by Todd C on 4/7/2010 at 4:50 AM
Found a setting in the ReportDesigner.Config file which disables the caching of data. This was NOT easy to find. I kind of stumbled upon it looking for something else entirely.

Still need BOL entry of rdl.data file types.