Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo cannot create LOGIN of windows account by Hiroyasu Tanabe

as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 6/30/2009 11:22:26 PM

Hello SQL Server team,

When I tried to create a SQL LOGIN of windows account and it always failed with any local users and local groups. Meanwhile I cound create SQL LOGIN of windows domain users.

I fonud the machine name contained both of capital letter and small letter. (eg. 'TestMachine')
and SQL Server collation was binary (JAPANESE_BIN).

Afterwards I changed the machine name contained only capital letter and number (eg. 'TESTMACHINE7'), then I could create a SQL LOGIN of windows.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/17/2009 at 10:39 AM
Thank you.
Posted by Hiroyasu Tanabe on 7/12/2009 at 10:06 PM
Sorry, I cannot replay it easily.
Yesterday after I changed my machine name to 'Jenya' but creating SQLLogin of Windows succeeded.
('Jenya' was the name of my machine when I was faced with the trouble.)

However, I find error messages in SQL Server Log at that time:
"Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM' reason:...(japanese words) Error 18456, Level 14, State 38"

Thanks,
Posted by Hiroyasu Tanabe on 7/10/2009 at 3:24 AM

I will get a screen capture in this weekend, and make sure what error it is.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/8/2009 at 1:07 PM
I am adding information about this problem to SQL Server Books Online. Can you tell me what SQL Server error you got? Did you receive error Msg 15401, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Windows NT user or group <login> not found. Check the name again.
Thank you.
Rick Byham
rick.byham@microsoft.com
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2009 at 4:42 PM
Correction, the optional second parameter should be 0, not 1.
Posted by Microsoft on 7/6/2009 at 4:00 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. This is by design as it depends upon the Windows and SQL Server collations and Windows does not provide any guarantees around the recognized "spelling" for the machine and account. However, one thing you can do is to issue the following command to print out the account name represenation from Windows:
suser_sname(suser_sid( <account name>, 1))

Then you will know the correct way to spell the login name.

Thanks,