I know I have been very vocal about the tabs and what should appear on them, and while there have been some great enhancements in the 2008 version of the product, I think there are still a few things I would like to see for better usability.
Even as screens are getting bigger and people have 2 or 4 on their desk, screen real estate is still a valuable commodity -- many of us use remote desktop and often connect to remote workstations or, worse yet, servers in our data center that are not set up to support > 640x480 or 800x600.
This wastage of real estate is most noticeable when I am running Management Studio in one of these scenarios.
The main problem is that, with the default settings, if I have more than four or five queries open, there is so much space wasted on the tab that I have to scroll to see the rest. This is really annoying because the down arrow that shows the rest of the windows (a) does not differentiate between query windows that are "visible" and queries that are not, and (b) the space there is truncated in the same useless way. It also doesn't bother to list them in any order that relates to the order of queries in the tab strip; instead, it orders them alphabetically (and if you have > 10, SQLQuery10.sql sorts before SQLQuery2.sql, so it doesn't even maintain chronological order with the defaults). Here you can see I have 11 query windows open, but only 7 of them are visible, and there is no indication in the dropdown which queries are visible:
In order to make a little more room for the tabs (so I don't have to use the scroll arrow), I often end up closing or hiding Object Explorer, and this interferes with productivity as well. Besides, this only increases the limit by 1 or 2 windows until I am in the same situation again.
Next we have the horrible defaults for new query file names (SQLQueryN.sql). What good are these? Can't we prevent them from displaying a name until we have saved them? This doesn't help me identify a particular query unless I happen to know precisely which window I opened, and in which order, when I wrote that line of code I'm trying to find.
What I end up doing to resolve most of this is turning off all the options for the tab except server name. This would allow me to fit a LOT more windows in the same space. The same window above can now fit 10 windows in the active space, when the other details (which are available in the status bar anyway) have been removed from the tab:
But, as it turns out, I can't disable the file name display either, because when I *have* named the file with a purpose, THAT is when I want to see the file name. If SSMS has named the file for me, and I haven't saved it, the file name is absolutely useless to me and serves no purpose. It is actually anti-helpful as it is stealing valuable real estate I would rather not be wasting.