Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider'. - by kmook

Status : 

  Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />
		A more detailed explanation for the resolution of this particular item may have been provided in the comments section.


5
0
Sign in
to vote
ID 482103 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 4
Opened 8/10/2009 12:07:10 PM
Access Restriction Public

Description

Unable to cast COM object of type 'System.__ComObject' to interface type 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop.IServiceProvider'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{6D5140C1-7436-11CE-8034-0011006009FA}' failed due to the following error: No such interface supported (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800040002 (E_NOINTERFACE)). (Microsoft.VisualStudio.OLE.Interop)
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by Frédéric Hébert on 8/9/2013 at 9:01 AM
You should really investigate this problem. I lost many hours before I found Edward Dixon workaround...
Posted by Darakas on 6/12/2013 at 6:32 AM
4 years on from original post The same issue with ssms
Also fixed as per stackoverflow link below. At least there it is acknowledge as an issue and workaround given. Unfortunate MS cant seem to do as well for their own products as 3rd party sites.
Posted by Judah Gabriel Himango on 4/25/2012 at 2:45 PM
The workaround attached to this case fixed the issue for me. Essentially, just re-registering ieproxy.dll with regsvr32 solved the issue.
Posted by Judah Gabriel Himango on 4/25/2012 at 2:41 PM
I'm hitting this issue right now with Visual Studio 11 beta (with March update), as of 4/25/12. Blogged about it here: http://debuggerdotbreak.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/visual-studio-11-crashes-with-invalidcastexception/
Posted by Edward Dixon on 2/3/2012 at 2:47 AM
Hi Microsoft, I think I can help you to fix this issue properly. I was getting this error message when trying to compile with Visual Studio 2010 and 2011. Multiple re-installs failed to resolve the issue. Searching the web didn't help much either, until a I found a workaround on Stack Overflow (see Workarounds tab for this issue). Based on the workaround and the failed cast, it is very likely that you have two COM objects which share a GUID - this would explain why re-registering the DLL mentioned in the StackOverflow item fixes the issue. This being the case, the Stack Overflow approach must be disabling some other COM object - apparently one I'm not using, for now; to really fix the problem, I suggest taking the GUIDs from ieproxy.dll and searching your codebase to find a match - if any other interface has the same one, there is your solution. Really hope this gets fixed, as there are certain to be lots of other crashes out there.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/12/2010 at 8:32 AM
Hi Kmook,
    Thank you for your submission regarding the ComObject error. We are unable to reproduce the problem. If you are still experincing the problem. We recommend that you Repair your installation of SSMS.
Thank you,
Bill Ramos