getting an error when trying to browse a cube - by Carbito

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 8/20/2009 8:18:31 AM

When I try to browse a cube in either Visual Studio 2008 or the SQL Management Studio, I get the following error: Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

Even before you do anything to get that error, the section which would normally say "Drop Totals or Detail Fields Here" instead has a message saying "The query could not be processed: o XML for Analysis parser: The LocaleIdentifier property is not overwritable and cannot be assigned a new value."

The operating system that I'm running is Windows 7 RTM.
Posted by Mr Tintin on 10/4/2012 at 2:21 AM
I've found a permanent fix - from another post somewhere but I can't find it again. It's simple (daft, but simple):

In my case, SSMS on my laptop was fine but SSMS and BIDS on the server showed the error, for at least 2 users.

1. ON THE CLIENT FROM WHICH YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM (in my case, an RDP session on the server) open Start - Control Panel, find Location Settings (or Regional Settings or Region and Language or whatever it's called - mine is Win Server 2008R2).

2. Find the Format setting (which determines date and time formats).

3. Change it from your normal setting to English (United States). Apply the change.

4. Set it back to what it was before. Apply the change.

5. You may need to restart the SSMS or BIDS session, not sure, but this should then be a permanent fix.

Note that it seems to need to be done for each user separately but for each user for whom it's been done, it seems to be a permanent fix.
Posted by baruch.n on 4/20/2011 at 6:34 AM
The VS 2008 Browser fails on reconnect.

Not only this is reproducible but it does not go away...

Fiddling with the languages back and forth does not help (just messed up other things).

I can browse the cube on the same server using excel 2010.

System: win2003 64bit. Lang and location set to US but Hebrew is also enabled on the computer.

I can't understand why fix not published for a problem that is well known for over a year.
This is disrespect of Microsoft clients.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/15/2011 at 4:22 PM
We have been looking at the issue described. Since we will be changing the way you will be browsing the data in the next release this error should no longer exist.

Thanks again for your feedback
The Analysis Services team
Posted by TickboxPhil on 10/13/2010 at 10:42 AM
Same problem (on Win7), solved by the following MSDN post:

I take the liberty of including it here for those without MSDN access wasting hours trying to sort this ;-)

HTH, Phil

Hi,

I also had a same problem.
I solved it by changing the cube language to the one I'm using for windows.

Example:

Current Windows Language: English (United States)

From cube browser (VS) > Click "Cube" from menu bar > open "Language" then choose the exact same language (English (United States) in my case) as windows.
Posted by ppst2008 on 3/24/2010 at 9:01 AM
Hello,

I am running XP SP3 with Visual Studio 2008. I have all language settings set to "English" or "United States" in the Regional and Language Options tabs. I am still getting this exact error.

Are there any other solutions to try?

Thanks!
Posted by Vasant Shetty on 11/20/2009 at 2:46 AM
Thanks Carbito for the workaround. It helped.

VS
Posted by Microsoft on 8/26/2009 at 1:53 PM
Thank you for providing this feedback. We will investigate this issue for a future release of SQL Server. If this issue is blocking you now, please work with your Customer Support Specialist to file an RFC.