SSRS Weird Parameters Order Bug (parameter grayed out) - by Charles Bevitt

Status : 


Sign in
to vote
ID 490845 Comments
Status Active Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 5
Opened 9/18/2009 3:39:10 PM
Access Restriction Public


I have a report with 4 parameters. 2 of them are dates. Both date paremeters have default values calculated by expressions (based on the current date). The date parameters are the 1st and 3rd parameters in the parameters list (so that they appear in the order I want) In other words, there is a non-date parameter in the parameters list in between the two date parameters.

When I run the report, the 2nd date parameter is blank and grayed out, even though the expression formula is valid.

However, if I move the 2nd date parameter (which is third in the parameter list) up one place in the parameter list, so that it is in second place and directly behind the 1st date parameter, it works correctly when I run the report!

Moving the 2nd date parameter back to where it was as the third paremeter in the list causes the problem again.

The problem occurs whether I run the report in BIDS (XP Professional x32) or publish it to a report server (Win 2008 Server x64).

I've copied the report and stripped out everything except the parameters - still does the same thing- and will submit it with this feedback.
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by BrubleWB on 3/9/2015 at 1:35 AM
I have also had this issue where I have two date fields and one (the second) has a default value but the second does not.
The end result is that when the fields are displayed the first field may be entered and the second is greyed out without the default value showing.
The issue here is that it makes the screen behave differently to other screens in the same suite and by doing so confuses the user and goes against Microsoft's on GUI suggestions of keeping screens as similar in behaviour as possible.

I as the developer would actually like the ability top choose the behaviour my screens show.
I would also prefer any default value to be shown immediately so the user is immediately aware the field ahs a default value and can see what it is.

I hope this bug will be fixed soon as it has clearly been around for a long time.
Posted by DipenParekh on 5/24/2010 at 10:58 AM
I have a similar problem but it is when using MDX queries.

By default SSRS creates a calculated field ParameterCaptionIndented for the dataset of parameters and this field is used as label for the parameter.
Now, if i have 2 parameters and if first parameter does not have a default then the 2nd is also disabled (greyed out) and the is refereshed only after a value is selected for the first parameter.

But if I set ParameterCaption field as the label field, this does not happen.

However this is not always true, sometimes for certain parameters even after using ParameterCaption the second parameter remains greyed though the first and second are not dependent (not cascading)
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2009 at 4:00 PM
Currently this behavior is per design. However we will consider this behavior improvement in a future release of reporting services The only workaround at this point is to change the order of the parameters.
Posted by bbb1 on 11/4/2009 at 1:32 PM
I am having the same problem. Moving parameters around to an illogical order just to get around this is not a good workaround for the long term.

The parameter before the date doesn't have a default. If I move them around so all of the ones before it do have defaults, then it works as expected.

My default date is an expression that is made up of known date/time functions, so there shouldn't be an issue with determining that it is not dependent on one of the parameters before it.
Posted by DannoCracker2 on 11/3/2009 at 9:25 AM
I'm having the same issue with a date parameter. However, all of the previous parameters DO have a default and the option in the report renders as disabled.
Posted by Microsoft on 10/30/2009 at 10:03 AM
Thank you for filing this issue. I believe this is a known/expected behavior given our current design. In the failure cause, the 2nd parameter does not have a default value. I suspect that if it did, then you would not have an issue. The core of the problem I believe is that the 3rd parameter has an expression based default value. When this happens, we do not know if it is dependent (or not) on previous parameter values. So if those upstream parameters do not have defaults, we gray out the following parameters.

Hope that helps,