Installing SQLServer2005 SSMSEE - by Bill Baker1

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 11/8/2009 11:56:35 PM

SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi does not to install on 64 bit Windows 7 Professional. After attempting install it gives the error code is 29506.
Posted by bear500 on 12/20/2009 at 5:49 PM
The solution for installing this package is to run it as "administrator". On my Windows7 system this user is setup automatically when I installed Windows7. However it was disabled and did not appear on the login screen. Go to "Computer Management", "Users". Right-click on "administrator" and enable it. Then login as "administrator" and double click on SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi to install the package.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/17/2009 at 9:12 PM
Hi Bill,

Thanks for getting back to me, and I am glad you solved the issue. We will consider to add a check if SQL Server setup was run as admin, but for our next release. We already have a check in place to validate if the "setup invoker" is an admin on the box. We might need to extend that check.

Thanks for the feedback. With this I am closing this issue.

Posted by Bill Baker1 on 11/12/2009 at 3:43 PM
Hello Max, thanks for your post. I solved this. Even though I am an administrator on my Windows 7 box, I had to run the install program as administrator from a CMD administrator window. That installed successfully. You folks really should update the documenation, and put a check to in the install program to see if it's being run as adminstrator. If the check fails, pop out out a message that it has to be run as admin.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/12/2009 at 12:26 PM

Thanks for reporting this issue. Please run the following (substituting the <path-to-logfile>) and send us the log file. We will investigate.

msiexec /package SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64.msi /l <path-to-logfile>

Max Verun
Posted by Bill Baker1 on 11/10/2009 at 2:08 PM
So, is this a dead forum not monitored by Microsoft??????
Posted by Bill Baker1 on 11/9/2009 at 12:16 AM
The 32 bit version of SSME doesn't install, wrong version for 64bit.
Posted by Bill Baker1 on 11/9/2009 at 12:10 AM
It appears that visual studio professional 90 day trial version installed 32 bit version of sql server express. Should I be installing 32 bit of version of SSME even though I'm running 64bit processor?