SQL Server 2008 Express SP1 won't Upgrade/Uninstall in Windows Server 2008 R2 - by Milling

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 3/3/2010 1:19:23 PM

I have a clean copy of Windows Server 2008 R2 64-Bit.  I downloaded 2 files from Microsoft: SQL Server 2008 Express w/ Advanced Tools (SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe) & SQL Server SP1 (SQLServer2008SP1-KB968369-x64-ENU.exe).  Both of them are the 64-bit version.  I installed the Basic Engine that installation and then SP1.  They both worked fine.

The problem occurs when I want to add another feature, let's say Full Text search.  I open up the SQL Server Installation Center and then click the Install & Add Features link in the Install submenu like I did when I first installed SQL Server 2008.  When I did that, I revived an error message that says Object Reference Not Found.  At this point, I decided to run SQLEXPRADV_x64 again but the same error occured.  At the same time, I went to the Uninstall Programs in Windows 2008.  When I clicked Uninstalled the same Object Reference Not Found message appeared.

This basically means I have a one-way time limited permanent install.  For the most part, I had better know what features I want installed because after that initial installation - I cannot upgrade or uninstall anymore.  I also tried the same with Web Platform Installer.  It installed SQL Server Express w/ SP1 but failed in installing Management Tools as an after-feature.
Posted by MHJ_UK on 3/26/2010 at 9:49 AM
Exactly the same issue, also on Rackspace Cloud, Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise.
Posted by Milling on 3/20/2010 at 7:33 PM
Also, I'm not sure if your resources allow but if you want to reproduce the error, just go to Rackspace Cloud, provision a Windows Server 2008 R2 server, and try the steps I provided.
Posted by Milling on 3/19/2010 at 10:30 AM
Thank you very much. I'll give this a try.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/19/2010 at 9:08 AM
Hello Mill001,

Having investigated the issue, the indicators point to the possibility that you might have some files that are missing in the msi cache that setup requires. We tried to repro based on your exact steps but were unable to get the same result. Such errors are really hard to troubleshoot without having access to the actual machine. However, our engineers have suggested a manual fix for you which might potentially resolve the issue.

The recommendation is to manually install the redistributable msi files from the media , so next time when discovery runs it will find what it needs. Also if the system in question is 64 bit install both 32 and 64 bit versions of missing MSIs.
1. PowerShellTools.msi
19. SSBEAS.msi
20. msxml6.msi
21. SSCERuntime.msi
22. Synchronization.msi
23. SyncServicesADO.msi
24. PCWSetup.msi

I hope this helps. Thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Korhan
Microsoft SQL Server
Posted by Microsoft on 3/12/2010 at 2:29 PM
Hello Mill001,

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback and attached logs. We are currently in the process of investigating the issue that you reported and will be in contact with you to provide further updates as appropriate.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,