Supported RDL Object Model (RDLOM) - by Teo Lachev

Status Active Workarounds
Type Suggestion Repros 0
Opened 3/8/2010 2:18:32 PM

After providing an unsupported but working RDL Object Model in SQL Server 2008, Microsoft has decided to discontinue it in R2. The workaround suggested was to use the object model in the Microsoft.ReportingServices.Designer.Controls.dll assembly which has the following shortcomings:
1. It is x32 bit only
2. Requires 25 dependent assemblies
3. Doesn't provide a way to serialize the generated report definition.
Posted by Serhii Krut on 6/19/2017 at 11:00 AM
Any updates on this?
Posted by George Dot on 6/1/2012 at 2:20 PM
What about this one? Can we use this one?
Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlObjectModel Namespace
Posted by jagan.b on 3/12/2012 at 6:49 AM
Any updates?
Posted by Frenk van Beekveld on 3/7/2012 at 12:37 PM
any news on this yet?
Posted by Microsoft on 10/15/2011 at 10:52 PM
Thanks everyone for providing this feedback. We know this is a popular request and are still working to find the time/release for adding this functionality.
Posted by Ucodia on 10/6/2011 at 1:34 AM
Hope these 3 points will be fixed in the RTM release of Denali.
Having to hack internal methods to serialize and deserialize RDL objects is not really nice.
The RDLOM is great but this little thing makes it frustrating to use.
Posted by RyanHennessey on 9/22/2011 at 11:30 AM
I was going to use RDLOM in conjunction with RDCE until I read about messy workaround in 2008 R2 and realized that the RDLOM is unsupported... those two items raised a big red flag for me.

A fully supported, standardized RDLOM in the next release of SSRS would be GREATLY appreciated. Until then, I will probably have to forgo using RDCEs for the purpose of customizing RDLs... it's just too hairy and not worth the time, especially since it's currently unsupported.

I see Microsoft.ReportingServices.RdlObjectModel Namespace in Microsoft TechNet in the Developer Reference, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.reportingservices.rdlobjectmodel(SQL.110).aspx)
Posted by bunkscene on 3/2/2011 at 8:23 AM
Yes, we need all three bullet points solved.
Posted by Frenk van Beekveld on 3/1/2011 at 8:44 AM
This would be VERY welcome indeed.
Posted by Jon Frost on 2/15/2011 at 6:13 AM
This is a must have feature.
Posted by orygreg on 1/28/2011 at 5:42 AM
An RDL object model is a must have. After much searching, it's looking like I have to build and maintain 3 versions of ALL my reports so that our users can specify 1, 2, or 3 Groups. With an object model, I could have one report and customize it as needed. As an added bonus, you could fix the problem of a "hidden" group being shown as a big empty column.
Posted by Bhuvan on 12/24/2010 at 6:29 PM
While SAP failed to provide reliable Crystal Reports with Visual Studio 2010, and Microsoft failed to provide a good alternative to it, with all the memory leaks in WPF & WCF, it is becoming quite a bit challenging to justify the use of .Net as the primary development platform. I am not sure why MS has to discontinue RDLOM and Remove Parameters on the report Viewer... and No reportviewer for R2 yet.
Posted by offshoresailor on 11/16/2010 at 1:23 AM
Definitely a must have.
Posted by Ojas Maru on 9/23/2010 at 9:55 AM
PLEASE......................................
Posted by umer riaz on 7/26/2010 at 10:24 AM
Its almost impossible to work with xml. Something as simple as serializing a report definition from bytes into an rdl object based of the schema is infinitely harder
Posted by JimMcCarthy on 6/8/2010 at 1:02 PM
I have been using SQL RS since 2005 and I built my own object model. The problem is it is very diffucult to support changes Microsoft makes t othe RDL between versions.

I have been waiting for this forever!
Posted by Alle on 6/1/2010 at 1:39 PM
Not having a decent object model is a weak point in RS2008. Almost every reporting software includes this. Now it is even worse in R2? That doesn't make any sense at all.

Alle
Posted by DRI Developer on 5/13/2010 at 2:33 PM
We are also a Microsoft Partner (http://integral-soft.com) and are using the RDL object model in our product. Please provide a simple API, as introduced in SQL Server 2008!
Posted by Ken Boone on 5/10/2010 at 12:58 PM
Yes, not having an object model seems like a giant hole.
Posted by samsonfr on 3/15/2010 at 7:08 AM
We are a Microsoft Partner (http://www.syntell.com/) and we currently use this RDL object model in a product that facilitate SSRS report developement. This API was easier to use than going the Xml way.
Thanks