Unattended Installation Fails on Windows 7 x64, x32 - by mlhess

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 3/16/2010 11:14:34 AM

Run the installer from a batch file with the following command line:

/QS /ACTION=Install /FEATURES=SQLEngine /INSTANCEID=ABC123 /INSTANCENAME=ABC123 /SECURITYMODE=SQL /SAPWD=ABC123 /SQLSVCACCOUNT="NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" /SQLSVCSTARTUPTYPE=Automatic /TCPENABLED=1 /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS="BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS

The installer simply disappears part way through and the SqlSetup.log file reports that "Setup closed with exit code: 0x84C40013."

We also tested with a /Q switch and with the "WithTools" installer with the same results.

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate N Version 6.1 (build 7600)
Platform:  both x86 and x64

Installers used:
en_sql_server_2008_r2_express_edition_november_ctp_x64_455228.exe
en_sql_server_2008_r2_express_edition_november_ctp_x86_455228.exe

We believe this is related to bug "SQL Server 2008 R2 CTP2 could not be installed on Windows 7 server RTM successfully" because if we run our batch file with neither a /Q nor a /QS switch, the installer fails with the error message:

"SQL Sever Setup failure: SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:
Invoke or BeginInvoke cannot be called on a control until the window handle has been created."
Posted by Levi Stevens on 3/28/2012 at 9:21 AM
I am able to repro this on my Windows Server 2008 R2 installing SQL 2008 R2 RTM (10.50.1600.1). If I use the EXACT same configuration file WITHOUT the /quietsimple and click through the wizard, it installs without any error. I have the UAC level set completely off on my VM an I'm logged on as a domain admin account. I can repro this every time.
Posted by Microsoft on 3/17/2010 at 3:37 PM
Thanks for additional information. However, we cannot repro this issue using our latest builds, and thus resolving as No Repro.

If you still have the problem, please re-activate and this time attach entire setup logs (in a zipped format) located at %programfiles%\microsoft sql server\100\setup bootstrap\log.

Thanks,
Max Verun
SQL Server

Posted by Jason_Wylie on 3/17/2010 at 11:19 AM
actually after proofing my post - just for clarity, the install command looked like this:

command line install
c:\sql> setup /configurationfile=c:\sql\configurationfile.ini /hideconsole

the last switch hides the command window running all the setup commands for SQL Server
Posted by Jason_Wylie on 3/17/2010 at 11:15 AM
i actually was recently working on a project that involved scripting the installation of SQL server 2008 express on posready 2009 devices and recently applied the same scenario to Win 7 devices. I ran into issue with installation on Win 7 also but I realized afterwards that the installation directory is a little different on win 7 devices especially if os is 64 and the sql ver is 32bit. I used the script that was created during gui set up and applied it and it has installed without fail on a Win7 enterprise device via command line. i have not tried later version but I'm sure that install works all the same. I also had turned of UAC since it requires elevation to install. I also noticed that I did't get the "compatibility..." pop up that I normally get when trying to install via gui when I did the scripted install. I have to imagine that any errors are due to antivirus or other account related parameters as the install works just fine. As far as i knew the only difference between ultimate and enterprise was the way it was sold - retail vs volume license.
Parameters
hardware:
motion computing tablet F5
OS:
Win 7 Enterprise
installation method:
command line install (setup /configurationfile=<path to location"c:\sql\configurationfile.ini">
SQL expr version:
10.0.1601.1

**to unpack the installation run from the command line in the root folder that holds the installation file:<name of file>.exe /x
example:
.exe was in root c:
c:\SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe /x
then you're prompted for the extract to location. there you will put the config file.
for me it was easier to just use a config file as opposed to typing the entire command line
Posted by mlhess on 3/16/2010 at 1:00 PM
Verified that this command line works using the Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Express Edition Service Pack 1 installers published 12/11/2009. So this appears to be an issue with the Nov CTP release.
Posted by mlhess on 3/16/2010 at 12:39 PM
Also able to repro on Windows XP Pro SP3 with .NET 3.5 SP1 installed
Posted by mlhess on 3/16/2010 at 11:37 AM
We initially thought this was specific to x64, but I was able to repro on Win7 x86 as well and have updated the item accordingly.

SQLSetup.log files from both failed installs are now attached. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

Matthew Hess
Senior Software Engineer
IntelliCyt Corporation
Posted by Microsoft on 3/16/2010 at 11:27 AM
Thanks for filing this. We think this is a different issue, and need all the setup logs. Please attach them to this issue and we will investigate.

Thanks,