SSRS 2008 hyperlinks from data don't work in browser - by 509Geronimo

Status Active Workarounds
Opened 3/30/2010 12:13:53 PM

I have created an SSRS 2008 report with a data-driven list of hyperlinks.  The hyperlinks work fine in the VS2008 designer/preview window, but when they are deployed to the Report Manager and viewed in IE8 the hyperlinks do not jump anywhere despite having the cursor change to the pointing hand icon on mouseover.  The complete hyperlink, including "http://", plus the visible textbox value and the tooltip all come from the database via stored procedure call.

While troubleshooting, I found that a) the data-driven hyperlinks do not include an anchor tag element in the report page source (the reason for the bug), and b) non-data-driven hyperlinks work fine even in the browser.

The hyperlink list is included in a tablix control in the report body section which is displayed after the tablix containing the main report data.

I have SQL Server 2008 SP1 and cumulative update 7 for SP1.
Posted by Mariusz [MSFT] on 11/8/2013 at 12:39 PM
Thank you for submitting this feedback. After carefully evaluating all of the bugs in our pipeline, we are closing bugs that we will not fix in the current or future versions of SQL Server. The reasons for closing these bugs are following:
1.     The fix is risky to implement in the current version of the product (service packs)
2.     Scenarios reported in the bug are not common enough
3.     A viable workaround is available

If the issue is a critical business interruption, please call CSS (Customer Support Services).

Thanks again for reporting the product issue and continued support in improving our product.

Mariusz Cichomski
Program Manager
SQL Server, Microsoft
Posted by 509Geronimo on 5/14/2010 at 10:39 AM
Re: IIS. I discovered when I was deploying SQL 2008 that it no longer needs or uses IIS. See or ms-help://MS.SQLCC.v10/MS.SQLSVR.v10.en/s10rs_0evalplan/html/fd17d9ea-cc75-4a8b-9458-3ea1fc3138c0.htm in BOL.
Posted by 509Geronimo on 5/14/2010 at 10:24 AM

I wish it were as simple as double-clicking the link itself or just adding property values to a different object. The links in my report do not work for the reason I stated in my original post: there is no anchor tag (<a>) around the link in the page source (see HTML below - and note how the anchor tag in the manual link is replaced by a DIV tag in the data-driven variant, with no URL). I am setting the same properties in both cases, but the data-driven one has the property values coming from the dataset. The mouse pointer changes to a pointing hand anywhere over the table cell (not just the link), but clicking does nothing since there are no instructions in the HTML indicating where to jump to.

Manually-specified link in table cell
<TD style="WIDTH:98.16mm;HEIGHT:5.95mm;" class="a19 r5 r6" TITLE="CT SDE district, facility, and organization report list"><a tabindex="1" href="" style="text-decoration:none;" TARGET="_top"><DIV style="overflow-x:hidden;WIDTH:96.75mm;" class="r13"><ul type="disc" class="r16"><li class="a18l"><DIV class="a18p"><span class="a17">CT SDE Education Directory</span></DIV></li></ul></DIV></a></TD>

Data-driven link in table cell
<TD style="HEIGHT:5.95mm;" class="a35c r5 r6"><DIV class="a35" TITLE="CT SDE district, facility, and organization report list"><DIV style="overflow-x:hidden;WIDTH:96.75mm;" class="r13"><ul type="disc" class="r16"><li class="a34l"><DIV class="a34p"><span class="a33">CT SDE Education Directory</span></DIV></li></ul></DIV></DIV></TD>
Posted by Eric Gemme on 5/3/2010 at 1:45 PM

I finally found what was wrong. It all depends on which component you set the action. When you first click on the table cell you like to have a link, you have to know you either select the cell itself or the text in the cell. So if you see a thick gray box around the selected cell, this is no good at all.    You must click one more time, but right on the field description (underlined blue with []), then you'll see the field highlighted in blue and "Selected text" in the properties box. You can then either click on the action elipsis button in the properties view, or right click the field while it is selected in blue and choose "Properties".

There is a very important difference on which component you put your action on, because when you do on the text zone, you must assume it is on the container (e.g. the grid cell) and not on the data itself. You will normally do so when you need to set a visual property (fond, color, etc) that will be applied on every line of data.

But what we needed to do is to put a data aware link therefore, need to set it on the data, not the container.

Everything works fine on my side.

Posted by Eric Gemme on 4/26/2010 at 12:44 PM
I must add the fact we run MS SQL 2008 on a Windows 2008 Server therefore, Report Manager runs on IIS7. Since IIS7 has tighter security schemes. Could it be possible that some security tweaks are required on IIS7?
Posted by 509Geronimo on 4/26/2010 at 6:52 AM
I have attached a SQL (2008) script to create a table called urls and load 2 records (these are the exact ones I was using in the real report). I also attached an RDL that includes both manually-coded links and the data driven links. Same report I was using but without the business-specific tablix data. I attached a modified version of the original report stored proc that only includes the method called for the links (@Method parm). You will need to put the table in your own DB, modify the DB name referenced in the SP code and the report dataset, and create your own shared data source.

I confirmed that the problem still occurs with this RDL when deployed to Report Manager. Eric's last sentence in his 4/18 comment is exactly what I see.
Posted by Eric Gemme on 4/18/2010 at 7:17 PM

Please be aware I use a french version of VS therefore, the english terms may not be 100% accurate.

The bug that I'm referring to happen when I add an hypertext link action of type "jump to report" to a data aware text zone:

1. I right click the text zone and chose text properties
2. Choose the Action tab
3. Click on jump to report radio button
4. Select the desired report in the combo
5. Add the required parameters

This all work fine in VS preview tab, but not when deployed on the Report Manager.    When hovering the links, the mouse pointer changes for a hand which means the link is detected, however nothing happen when clicking.

Eric Gemme
Posted by Microsoft on 4/15/2010 at 3:15 PM
can you provide a repro for this issue
Posted by Eric Gemme on 4/8/2010 at 3:53 PM
Drill down to a sub report doesn't work neither on Report Manager although running fine in Visual Studio
Posted by Microsoft on 4/7/2010 at 11:06 AM
Thanks for filing the issue. Please provide a repro for this issue to further investigate.