Upgrade From SQL 2008 to SQL 2008 R2 Changes The Port SQL Is Running On - by namraja_dba

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 5/13/2010 3:03:09 AM

Existing 2008 instance was running on a static port (1433) before the upgrade. Configured this way to allow for 'account delegation'. Post upgrade SQL server is running on a dynamically allocated port - causing all windows authenticated logins to fail (untrusted domain)
Posted by Rong [MSFT] on 6/8/2010 at 10:06 AM
Hi Andy,

Unfortunately, we could not get more information from the log of the failure upgrading cases. I'll resolve this bug as not repro. If you find similar cases in the future, feel free to report to us.

Thank you very much!
Posted by Rong [MSFT] on 6/4/2010 at 12:51 PM
Hi Andy,

Yes, you could send me email for the zip file (rowu@microsoft.com).

Posted by namraja_dba on 6/3/2010 at 11:10 PM
Hi Rong,

I've tried three time now to upload these files to you without success. Is it possible I can send these to you privately?

Posted by namraja_dba on 6/3/2010 at 10:48 PM
Getting error code 262c1a8a-59fe-487d-a09c-98b3f8de49ca whilst trying to upload my zip file to you. Are zip files allowed?
Posted by namraja_dba on 6/3/2010 at 2:16 AM
Hi Rong,

Looking through my log folders, I can't find any files suffixed with .reg. As I was unsure what error log file you wanted (seems to be a logfile for each sub-component), I thought I would zip up all four folders (12MB compressed) and attach them to this ticket. Unfortunately the upload failed the first time and the 2nd attempt faired no better.

I'll try an upload these folders to you later today.

Posted by Rong [MSFT] on 6/2/2010 at 11:04 AM
Hi Andy,

Could you please attach the detail.txt, registry (should have .reg suffix) dump, error log for the failure installation? The registry dump and error log should be at the same place of as detail.txt. We would like to see whether these are related to the change of TCP Port for the upgrade.

Thank you very much!

Posted by namraja_dba on 6/2/2010 at 1:08 AM
Hi Rong,

Unfortunately the procedure you describe is my environment.... As I wasn't expecting any problems with this upgrade, I didn't record any notes of my installation process.

Looking back at the bootstrap\log folder, I can see I attmpted to install this upgrade 4 times, with the last attempt being successful. Unfortunately reviewing the associated summary text files, it's unclear to me why the previous attempts didn't work - I can send you these logfiles if you want (its a lot of data or do you require just specific files?). Maybe it was was one of these failed updates that caused the problem?

As your simulation represents my environment and you have no problems - perhaps we just close this issue?

Posted by Rong [MSFT] on 6/1/2010 at 5:32 PM
Dear Customer,

I have installed a named instance for SQL Server 2008 SP1. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, I have changed "TCP Port" for IPAll to 1433, and leave "TCP Dynamic Ports" to blank. Note: "Listen ALL" is set to "Yes", which is default setting. I restarted the server and it runs without any problem. Then I upgraded the server to SQL Server 2008 R2. After the upgrade, the server still keeps the static port I set (1433), and running it on without problem. So could you please provide me the detailed configuration info for your scenario? For example, which IP addrss you set for the static port? Compare with what I have done, could you find any difference with your case?

Thank you very much!
Posted by namraja_dba on 5/17/2010 at 1:27 AM
Hi Lee,

I've uploaded the Summary.txt & Detail.txt files as requested (although I can't seem to see these files attached to this ticket..). Unfortunately the ERRORLOG has been 'lost'. We only keep 6 generations of this file and as we were attempting to diagnose this problem, SQL server was restarted a few times - causing the file to be aged and lost. Sorry.

Posted by Lee [MSFT] on 5/14/2010 at 2:52 PM
We have recieved your report are investigating. Could you please attach the logs from your upgrade?

Lee - Microsoft