Rebuilding system databases for SQL Server 2008 R2 - by Xiao-Min Tan – MSFT

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 6/3/2010 1:26:34 AM

Rebuilding system databases for SQL Server 2008 R2 doesn’t work for me. Here is what I do:
1. I open a command prompt in the below folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\SQLServer2008R2

2. Execute the following commands:

Then, the following error occurred:
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
Posted by Mohamed [MSFT] on 3/18/2011 at 7:47 AM
This is to confirm that a fix for this issue will be available with SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. We are also investigating this problem on SQL Server Denali.

Mohamed El Hassouni [SQL Server]
Posted by Sankar Reddy on 12/26/2010 at 8:53 PM
Tested this on DENALI, same thing with errors but the error message is different.

Overall summary:
Final result:                 Failed: see details below
Exit code (Decimal):         -2068709375
Exit facility code:            1202
Exit error code:             1
Exit message:                 The action type 'ExecuteWorkflowAction' is not valid for the WorkflowIdentity element. The only valid action type is ExecuteWorkflowAction.
Start time:                    2010-12-26 19:38:20
End time:                     2010-12-26 19:38:23
Requested action:             LANDINGPAGE

Machine Properties:
Machine name:                 SANKAR-PC
Machine processor count:     8
OS version:                    Windows 7
OS service pack:
OS region:                     United States
OS language:                 English (United States)
OS architecture:             x64
Process architecture:         64 Bit
OS clustered:                 No

Package properties:
Description:                 Microsoft SQL Server "Denali" Community Technology Preview 1
ProductName:                 SQL Server "Denali" CTP1
Type:                         CTP
Version:                     11
SPLevel:                     0
Posted by KevinC_At_FIServ on 11/29/2010 at 9:46 AM
I've also experienced the error and was successful with the workaround.
Posted by swh1 on 10/8/2010 at 9:07 AM
I have just excperienced the problem with SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 63-bit (10.50.1720.0) on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. However, I can confirm that the given workaround overcame the problem.

The full contents of the DVD was copied over to the server and into a folder on the C: Drive. The top-level setup.exe did the trick.
Posted by PK2000 on 9/1/2010 at 4:09 PM
Does this mean that I can use the SQL 2008 R2 media installation files (setup.exe) if this is stored locally on the server as apposed to accessing it straight from the DVD?
Posted by Prashant Jha on 7/18/2010 at 1:55 AM
Hello Max,
I was too able to repro the issue. I have uploaded the logs internally. It appears that the issue occurs when local setup.exe is used. Using the setup.exe from media is fine. That seems kind of a workaround as of now.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/3/2010 at 11:41 AM
Thanks for reporting this issue. We need the entire setup logs to investigate. Please attach them to this issue from %programfiles%\microsoft sql server\100\setup bootstrap\log.

Max Verun
SQL Server
Posted by ash-img on 6/3/2010 at 2:58 AM
Yes I can repro this too and I am bit scared. My sys dbs now have a scheduled backup.
Posted by TiborK on 6/3/2010 at 1:47 AM
I also get this problem. I started a thread in the MSDN forums for this at, FWIW. I'm on Win 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. Detail_ComponentUpdate.txt file available on request.