Data Collection configuration fails with error that Utility Information collection does not have a schedule. - by Kendra Little

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 6/25/2010 8:40:22 PM

When configuring data collection on a sql 2008 R2 RTM installation, I found that configuration failed with an error that the Utility Information collection did not have a schedule.

The failure point occurred when setting up data collection through the GUI. At the point of failure I found that SQL Agent jobs had been created, but when I looked under the data collector there were no system collections present.

I found a workaround to get past this error, as documented in my blog here:  http://littlekendra.com/2010/06/25/saddatacollector/

After  using the workaround I was able to get data collection configured successfully and the collections seem to be working as normal.

The same error has been seen by another user in a different context, as documented here: http://mbah.us/blog/index.php/page/2/. That does not appear to have been during configuration of the Data Collector itself, however.
Posted by SumedhaPawar on 7/1/2014 at 5:08 AM
Getting error for utility information
TITLE: Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Collector
------------------------------

Unable to start collection set Utility Information.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.1750.9+((dac_inplace_upgrade).101209-1051+)&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

------------------------------

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.50.4000&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=14684&LinkId=20476

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------
Posted by ob213 on 6/8/2014 at 8:14 PM
I had the same problem on SQL 2014. So if MSFT can't reproduce it, it is not a bug.
Posted by Michael Zilberstein on 5/26/2013 at 6:21 AM
I've had the same issue configuring MDW (first repository, then collections) on SQL 2008 R2 SP2. Workaround fixed the issue (for some reason Utility collector set had ID = 5 in my case, so changed it in Lendra's script).
Posted by Sethu [MSFT] on 8/13/2012 at 4:20 PM
Hello Kendra,
We have not received additional information from you for past 1 week. We could not reproduce this issue in our environment. Please activate it again if you can get us a detailed repro

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
Posted by Sethu Srinivasan on 8/7/2012 at 6:14 PM
Hello Kendra,
We are currently investigating this issue. Could you please get back to us at the earliest with additional information requested by us in earlier comment?

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
Posted by Sethu Srinivasan on 8/6/2012 at 3:05 PM
Hello Kendra,
On SQL Server 2008 R2 RTM, I was able to configure data collector without any issues. In my scenario I had warehouse database created on same instance where data collector is configured. I did not see the specific error you reported in this connect feedback. Let me know if am missing anything here.

Could you please help us understand your repro scenario better?. Please include step by step instructions so that we could reproduce the same issue you are seeing in your environment

Please include the following
1) SQL Server version, Service packs / any hotfixes applied
2) Data collector topology; Data collector configuration ; Is Warehouse database locally created on same instance or on remote instance
3) Is any one of the instance(s) part of Utility setup, are they managed instances / Utility control point
4) Step by step instructions for us to reproduce the same issue you are seeing in your environment

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
SQL Server

Posted by John Couch on 4/29/2011 at 8:36 AM
So, based on the comments from Kendras posting on her site, Bill ramos said the utility Information collection was designed to never be started?? So, does it do anything? Should we do the workaround Kendra Provided? (Thanks Kendra).
Posted by Alwweb on 11/18/2010 at 7:44 PM
I had this same problem on SQL 2008 SP2 and the work around worked for me also.
Posted by WiredUK on 10/18/2010 at 7:36 AM
This workaround has helped me too. However, I am unable to set the Utility Information back to "On demand" as I get an error:

Operation 'Alter' on object 'Utility Information' failed during execution. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

Caught error#: 14684, Level: 16, State: 1, in Procedure: sp_syscollector_start_collection_set, Line: 203, with Message: Caught error#: 14693, Level: 16, State: 1, in Procedure: sp_syscollector_start_collection_set, Line: 108, with Message: A collection set cannot start without a schedule. Specify a schedule for the collection set. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 14684)
Posted by Mike [MSFT] on 6/30/2010 at 8:39 AM
Hi Kendra,

Thank you for your report. We'll investigate this issue to determine what the cause of the error is.

Regards,