MSDTC fails to restart in SQL Server 2008 R2 Clustered group - by Stephen Strong - VTSP SQL

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 7/19/2010 6:38:39 PM

After clustering SQL Server 2008 R2 CU2, then adding MSDTC resource to same Services and Applications group, MSDTC fails to restart.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/29/2010 at 1:28 AM
Hi Nilton,

If your tempdb is not on disk E: or the tempdb disk I/O load is not very high, technically I think MSDTC using the SQL Server system database disk shouldn’t cause any troubles.

Yes, the workaround is totally supported.

Regards,
Min He
Program Manager, SQL Engine China
Posted by Nilton Pinheiro - MVP on 9/24/2010 at 12:43 PM
Hi Min,

I´m implementing a geo-cluster with 7 nodes and was going to implement one MSDTC resource for each SQL resource group using moint point to alocate the MSDTD in a dedicated disk. But, when setting the dependency to depends on the MSDT volume (E:\SQLP1-E-MSDTC), the MSDTC fail with the below error.

The MSDTC work fine when setting it to use the root disk (SQLP1-E-BIN), drive letter E:\, but I'am not sure if it's a good practice to leave the MSDTC competing with the system databases and SQL Server logs.

So I used the below workaround "Microsoft Workaround" to keep MSDTC using mount point (E:\MSDCT), but haven't found any KB describing this workaround.

So, my question is: Is this workaround totally supported?

thanks
Nilton Pinheiro
Posted by Stephen Strong - VTSP SQL on 8/26/2010 at 1:02 AM
Thanks Min for the confirmation.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/25/2010 at 11:30 PM
I got confirmed that disk volume GUID is not supported by MSDTC, therefore you cannot configre MSDTC resource depends on a shared disk without a drive letter on current Windows releases (Windows Server 2008 R2 and below).

The MSDTC product team is considering to support volume GUID in a future Windows release.

Regards,
Min He
Program Manager, SQL Engine China
Posted by Microsoft on 8/24/2010 at 2:48 AM
Thanks for reporting the issue.

This issue is not SQL Server related as I can reproduce this issue without a SQL Server 2008 R2 installation. I'll contact MSDTC team to follow up on this.

A workaround I have tested:
Assume you have a shared disk, Disk1, with drive letter E:.

1) Create a MSDTC folder on E:
2) Mount your another shared disk, Disk2, to E:\MSDTC folder.
3) Create a new MSDTC resource
4) Change its dependency to depends on Disk1. Then the MSDTC log will use E:\MSDTC and store on Disk2.
Posted by Stephen Strong - VTSP SQL on 7/19/2010 at 7:19 PM
When using a mount point for MSDTC the MSDTC\guid\msdtc.log 4MB file is created and the resource comes online the first time. However, it will not restart on the same node or failover to another node.