The 'InstanceName' instance was not found on the 'ServerName' server. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient) - by Jermyh

Status : 

  Not Reproducible<br /><br />
		The product team could not reproduce this item with the description and steps provided.<br /><br />
		A more detailed explanation for the resolution of this particular item may have been provided in the comments section.

Sign in
to vote
ID 586891 Comments
Status Closed Workarounds
Type Bug Repros 0
Opened 8/17/2010 7:43:12 AM
Access Restriction Public



I had yesterday night a problem in production server where SSRS tried to connect to to SSAS Named Instance and got an error.
When I tried to connect through SSMS I've got the following error:

Cannot connect to ServerName\InstanceName.


The 'InstanceName' instance was not found on the 'ServerName' server. (Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient)

Program Location:

   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.GetInstancePort(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.GetTcpClient(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.OpenTcpConnection(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.XmlaClient.Connect(ConnectionInfo connectionInfo, Boolean beginSession)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.XmlaClientProvider.Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.IXmlaClientProviderEx.ConnectXmla()
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.ConnectToXMLA(Boolean createSession, Boolean isHTTP)
   at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.AdomdConnection.Open()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.VSIntegration.ObjectExplorer.ObjectExplorer.ValidateConnection(UIConnectionInfo ci, IServerType server)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectionThreadUser()

The SSAS service was up and so the SQL Server Browser service.
I had restart the SSAS service, but, it didn't help.
Only after restart the SQL Server Browser service it was solved.

I didn't find anything related to it in the web, except, there was such a bug which was fixed in cumulative update 6 in SQL Server 2005 SP2, but, my server work on SP3.
Sign in to post a comment.
Posted by S Kumar Dubey on 7/20/2012 at 1:16 AM
For Me also (SQL Server Browser service restart) helped me to resolve the issue

To start the SQL Server Browser service

1.On the Start menu, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

2.In Computer Management, expand Services and Applications, and then click Services.

3.In the list of services, double-click SQL Server Browser.

4.In the SQL Server Browser Properties window, click Start or Stop.

5.When the service starts or stops, click OK.

Posted by Aravind Kamath on 3/13/2011 at 3:48 AM
Thanks; the solution (SS Browser service restart) helped me to resolve the issue.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/7/2011 at 5:35 PM
Thanks a lot Jermyh for reporting this issue to us.

At this point without addtitional investigation it not possible for us to determine the cause for situation you had.

Can you please contact customer support next time you run into this problem and get them to investigate root cause of the issue.

Thank you
The Analysis Services Team