SQL 2008 uninstall 'value cannot be null' sddlForm - by Eric-Jan

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 8/18/2010 1:46:42 AM

When trying to uninstall a sql2008 Std RTM named instance i receive an error 'value cannot be null. parameter name: sddlForm'. The database engine, the replication and SDK client tools remain. How many times I try (with reboots), I can not get SQL2008 uninstalled. It's on a Windows XP SP3 machine with Windows Updates turned ON.
Posted by David Woakes on 10/27/2011 at 2:00 AM
I get this issue attempting to install SP3 on SQL Server 2008 (not R2) for an instance with FileStream enabled.

Is there any chance of a resolution?
Posted by Eddie R. Norton on 1/28/2011 at 11:28 AM
I am having the same issue. Can you please elaborate on the workaround suggested?

Before my 3 days of frustration started I had several versions of SQL Server installed on my WIn XP SP3 machine.
I was able to unistall all of them except 2008 R2.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/10/2010 at 7:16 PM
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The scenario where the SID was being chnaged was not being correctly handled in the Filestream uninstall/configuration logic. This has been addressed in the next version of SQL Server.
To workaround the uninstall failure, we suggest trying to change the group SID back in the registry and uninstall again. The original Group SID should be available in your oiginal install logs for the instance.
Posted by TimGL on 11/2/2010 at 12:49 PM
I get the same error message when trying to uninstall. This has only been an issue since renaming the PC and assigning a new SID when switching over to new hardware.
Posted by Microsoft on 8/31/2010 at 7:07 PM
We have received your report and are investigating the issue.

SQL Server Setup