Forward Engineering (CREATE TABLEs...) for Visio Professional 2010 by Kalman Toth

as Won't Fix Help for as Won't Fix

Type: Suggestion
Opened: 10/28/2010 7:22:16 AM

Database diagramming tool is available in Visio Professional 2010. However, after saving the new database diagram, there is no way to generate db object create scripts like CREATE TABLE, and so on. There is no Forward Engineering feature.
Posted by zevan on 2/9/2012 at 1:33 PM
Microsoft, this is a complete failure on your part. As a very long time customer I am completely disgusted.
Posted by Krish G on 7/1/2011 at 1:34 PM
Can you let the world know what was philosophy behind removing the forward engineering feature was after visio 2003 enterprise architect? I guess it be reused again (at least need not be implemented from scratch) in near future.
Posted by Larry Heminger on 4/21/2011 at 6:22 PM
Dear Microsoft - I agree with Richard, Bob, and I'm sure hundreds/thousands of other saying that Microsoft is being lame in not supporting forward engineering. I am the lead architect at a new company, and now just realizing that investing my last few days in database design using Visio 2010 has been nearly a waste of time.

Yes, I can and probably will, write the scripts myself, but this is 2011 ... I should be able to buy a tool to do that for me, and I was hoping Visio was that tool.

I guess I will spend my money elsewhere.
Posted by Bob.R on 4/18/2011 at 6:22 PM
That has got to be the most non-commital response for a critical feature I have ever heard. The one key feature I need and the one key reason I purchased Visio was to do this very thing.

What on earth is the point of reverse engineering a database if one cannot change it and update the original database?

Posted by Richard Bethell on 3/18/2011 at 6:58 AM
This is unfortunate, and I hope you will reconsider. Without forward engineering, Visio has only the most limited usefulness as a diagramming tool for any database or IT professional. Since diagramming is one of Visio's reasons for existing, I think it is safe to say you'll want to attend to this.
Posted by Microsoft on 11/19/2010 at 10:11 PM
Hi

Greetings from the SQL Server Manageability team.

Thanks for writing in to Microsoft. We greatly value your feedback. We understand your problem, and how fixing this could improve productivity.

However, given the work that would be involved in implementing this work, and our current set of deliverables, we do not think, we would be able to get to this in the near future.

Having said that, we value your suggestions, and would like to assure you that, we would keep these ideas in mind, when we do revisit this feature in the future.

One other suggestion that we could make is to file a connect bug against Visio as well - so that both product teams can have this in their list of desired features, and can revisit this list in the future.

Thanks again for providing feedback and making SQL Server the greatest Database server.

Regards

Chandramouli
Posted by cichanlx on 6/8/2011 at 12:58 PM
There is a free Visio add-in that solves this very problem!