SSMS 2008 R2 is losing Intellisense after installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 - by Daniel Schmitz

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 3/10/2011 2:18:11 AM

This is very frustrating. After long waiting for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 i found this apparently bug.

Additional Links:

Please look into comments!

Regards
Daniel
Posted by Shamas Saeed on 4/18/2012 at 1:44 AM
Now I have tried to update available hot fix for this problem "SQLServer2008R2-KB2507770-x64"

On selection step there is nothing available and message displayed that you have no object to update. It means it is already update on my machine. Is there any workaround now.
Posted by Shamas Saeed on 4/18/2012 at 12:13 AM
I have SSMS 2008 R2 10.50.1617 installed on my machine along with Visual Studio 2010 and Intellisence goes great. But it disappears now without any update on SQL SERVER or Visual Studio. I have tried to refresh cache and check for enabling Intellisence if not. But nothing works.
Posted by Yasel on 8/19/2011 at 2:43 PM
I ran into the same issue for the last month. Finally installed the Cumulative Update 9 (SQLServer2008R2-KB2567713-x86 for my environment 32bit) and the intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2 is back to normal.

Regards,
Yasel
Posted by MarcD on 7/31/2011 at 4:36 PM
Nm. It does work. just not as pro-active/callable as I'm used to in VS.
Posted by MarcD on 7/31/2011 at 4:34 PM
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        10.50.2500.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                        10.50.2500.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        6.1.7601.17105
Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 5.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        9.0.8112.16421
Microsoft .NET Framework                        2.0.50727.5416
Operating System                        6.1.7601
Posted by MarcD on 7/31/2011 at 4:33 PM
SP1 Upgrade and it's still broken here.
Posted by Kalaimani on 6/30/2011 at 2:49 AM
This issue still occurs in my installation. I have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 also but not resolved. Please advise any solution.

Thanks.
Posted by Amir RT on 5/20/2011 at 8:59 AM
I have a problem because I have installed on my PC only the Sql Server Management Studio (because we have installer the Sql Server Standard on a server). So I have installed the CU7 on the server but when I try to install it on my local PC he can't find the instance of SqlServer.
So My Intellisense still isn't working.

How can I do to install the Cumulative Update on my local PC for the Management Studio ?
Posted by Anderson Costa Fernandes da Silv on 5/16/2011 at 5:53 AM
I've also installed CU7 and get my IntelliSense back!
Posted by Marko Tošić on 5/6/2011 at 5:01 AM
I've also installed CU7 and IntelliSense still not working.
I have SSMS 10.50.1600.1.
Posted by mitkodi on 4/26/2011 at 3:09 AM
I installed CU7 and now I have partial IntelliSense support. I don't see all database schemas and objects unless I use full qualified names (starting with database name). IntelliSense -> Refresh Local Cache doesn't help.
Posted by DavidAir on 4/25/2011 at 1:35 PM
I was able to successfully install CU7 and get my IntelliSense back (the installer prompted me to reboot which I did). Note that initially I only had the R2 client tools installed alongside with an instance of regular 2008 - the patch was not able to run, erroneously picking the version from 2008 instead of the 2008 R2 tools. I actually HAD to install an instance of Sql Server 2008 R2 in order to be able to run CU7.
Posted by Đonny on 4/22/2011 at 1:20 AM
I've installed CU7 and I still don't have the IntelliSense :-(.
SSMS 10.50.1600.1
Posted by WoodyJ007 on 4/19/2011 at 8:49 AM
Posted by WoodyJ007 on 4/19/2011 at 8:48 AM
Thanks for updating this thread to tell us the fix is available MS!!!!

Posted by Chad Dokmanovich on 4/14/2011 at 4:55 PM
I'm not a regular visitor of this site, but shouldn't MS be posting an offical comment that is associated with its "Closed as Fixed" status?
Posted by hknickerbocker on 4/14/2011 at 8:02 AM
Installing of CU#6 did not fix the issue and openned additional issues BI functions of SSIS. If the SQL server is not upgraded as well, any text file generations will have the ASCII code for the delimeters instead of the delimiters themselves. I'll hold off next time on installing any Service Packs...
Posted by Qent1 on 4/11/2011 at 1:29 PM
There is a duplicate of this here that is not closed here:
Posted by warin1g on 4/8/2011 at 8:10 AM
Why is this marked as fixed? How come microsoft hasn't given any feedback to our comments?
Posted by rathor on 4/6/2011 at 10:55 AM
Looking forward to the fix in CU7 (this applies to R2, also, right?).
Note: it's not fixed until the fix is released and proven to fix w/o breaking anything else.

Please ensure CU7 does not break database projects in VS2010?
Posted by WoodyJ007 on 4/5/2011 at 8:43 AM
I've had to use a virtual machine to work around this problem. Very annoying! I can't believe this got through whatever 'testing' was done.
Posted by Andy Rodriguez on 4/5/2011 at 6:17 AM
So what is the fix for this? I've applied CU6 and still have issues with Intellisense in SSMS. Also, the "workarounds" are not "working around"...
Posted by Đonny on 4/5/2011 at 12:58 AM
"Closed as Fixed" So, where's the fix?
Posted by Rootberg on 4/4/2011 at 12:17 PM
Can you please provide a feasible workaround for this issue? Simply marking an item as "resolved as fixed" doesn't resolve the issue for the many users who have updated this bug report.

Also, note that Microsoft is falsely adverting the capabilities of SQL Server 2008 R2 until this feature is fixed (see http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/rich-application-development/programming-coding.aspx)
Posted by Jay Hamlin on 3/21/2011 at 10:35 PM
The SQL team made a change to the way an error message is constructed in the TSQL Language Service in Dev10 SP1. This change caused a loss of Intellisense when SSMS SQL Server 2008 R2 and Dev10 SP1 are installed. The team is issuing a fix that will be available in an upcoming SQL Server 2008 R2 CU (CU#7 scheduled for mid-April) and in SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1.
Posted by TimElvidge on 3/21/2011 at 4:17 PM
I have the same problem - my system configuration is as follows:-
Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1
Visual Studio Professional 2010
The order of installation was :-
SQL 2008 R2 SSMS (64-bit) (installed 2010-05-06) (2008 R2 SQL server installed on another server)
Visual Studio 2010 (installed 2010-06-22)
SP1 for Windows 2008 R2 applied (2011-02-23)
SP1 for Visual Studio 2010 applied (2011-03-11)
IE9 installed (2011-03-16) not sure whether this is relevant

I installed CU6 and this didn't work. Uninstalled it after verifying no major improvement
I reinstalled the original DAC componets from orginal VS 2010 DVD

\WCU\DAC\DACFramework_enu.msi
\WCU\DAC\DACProjectSystemSetup_enu.msi
\WCU\DAC\TSqlLanguageService_enu.msi

- this didn't work
Reinstalled the DAC components mentioned above from the SP1 ISO and again this didn't work.
Using RDP onto the SQL 2008 R2 server (on O/S Windows 2008 R2 SP1) where VS 2010 is NOT installed to edit Transact-SQL with Intellisense as a workaround
Posted by Daniel Lidström on 3/18/2011 at 3:14 AM
Update:

Have installed CU6 now, and like some other people i got SOME intellisense back.

SELECT * FROM dbo.     gives me all tables and stuff

but intellisense for columns does not work.

Datebase projects in VS works fine.
Posted by Daniel Lidström on 3/18/2011 at 2:24 AM
Same issue here, really sad.

Win 7 Enterprise, SQL Server 2008R2, VS 2010.
After applying SP1 to VS, SSMS intellisense is gone.
Tried re-installing SQL Server, but it didn't solve the problem.

Tried "Dorel Adam" suggestion to reinstall the Data-Tier and T-SQL Lang. Service packages as well, but no luck.

I'm downloading the CU6 now to see if that maybe helps, it seems that it solved the problem for some people (at least some intellisense back)
Posted by Daniel Liuzzi on 3/17/2011 at 5:04 PM
This is weird. I was gonna install SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU6_2489376_10_50_1765_x64 and the file literally vanished from the download list. x86 and IA64 versions are still there but the x64 disappeared. There were 13 files when I first opened the page, now there's 12.
Posted by Dorel Adam on 3/17/2011 at 12:23 PM
Big mistake. I installed Visual Studio 2010 SP1 only to get this error in Visual Studio database projects when opening .sql files:

Method not found: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlParser.Common.TransactSqlVersion Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlParser.Parser.ParseOptions.get_TransactSqlVersion()'

Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Cumulative Update 6 didn't help. After 3 days of desperately looking for solutions I think I know what the problem is. Installing Visual Studio 2010 SP1 upgrades the dlls in 3 related packages resulting in the Transact-SQL Intellisense breaking.

After uninstalling from the Control Panel:

"Miscrosoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Data-Tier Application Framework"
"Miscrosoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Data-Tier Application Project"
"Miscrosoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Transact-SQL Language Service"

and reinstalling:

\WCU\DAC\DACFramework_enu.msi
\WCU\DAC\DACProjectSystemSetup_enu.msi
\WCU\DAC\TSqlLanguageService_enu.msi

from the original Visual Studio 2010 DVD the problem has gone away.
Posted by Joao S Cardoso - MVP on 3/17/2011 at 6:55 AM
Have the same problem. Don't want to install CU6 due to mixed results as described by others here and on foruns.
Posted by Master VB Guru on 3/16/2011 at 10:23 AM
I installed the Cumulative update and it did NOT fix the issue for me.
Posted by C Beall on 3/16/2011 at 9:09 AM
CU6 did not fix the issue for me.
Posted by Richard Deeming on 3/16/2011 at 7:43 AM
Same problem here - tables and views are shown for the first statement only, and columns are not shown at all.

Did anyone actually test VS2010 SP1???
Posted by Larry_Pope on 3/16/2011 at 5:51 AM
I'm also seeing this behavior after installing VS 2010 sp1 and it is occurring on a colleague's PC as well. I'm running SQL 2008 R2 x64. I tried installing the cumulative update (SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU6_2489376_10_50_17) and some of the intellisense is working (tables and views) but columns are not working like prior to installing SP1.

Also intellisense doesn't work correctly even for tables when doing multiple statements, like having two select statements one after another. I did try adding semi-colons after the first statement to see if I could help the parser out, but that did not work either. I did notice that columns did appear to show correctly on one of my older stored procedures. The only difference in that procedures was that the everything was qualified with square brackets.
Posted by gkochanowsky on 3/15/2011 at 10:06 AM
I also installed hot fix SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU6_2489376_10_50_1765_x64 and experienced a partial fix where table names would appear but not column names.
Posted by Joe Hatfield on 3/15/2011 at 10:04 AM
Installing CU6 didn't work for me, so I uninstalled SQL Server 2008 R2 completely and re-installed it. and intellisense is working again in SSMS.
Posted by rathor on 3/15/2011 at 8:37 AM
!?!
We use database projects because of the ability to generate deployments (update scripts), and because the source control & project support in SSMS is so poor.
We can't afford to lose VS2010 database projects just to get back SSMS intellisense. So I'll have to break my habits and do most of my development in Visual Studio.

The frequent breaking changes between the SQL & VS teams are very frustrating and costly.
Please kill SSMS and move all the functionality into Visual studio... but carefully, and not some special enterprise edition!
Posted by Patrick_Fiedler on 3/15/2011 at 8:14 AM
I have the same issue with Visual Studio 2010 SP1. My system was Windows 7 Enterprise without SP1 and without CU6 of SQL Server 2008 R2. I have installed VS2010 Premium and SQL Server 2008 R2 Developer Edition

I have first installed CU6. Intellisense works only partly.

I have reinstalled VS2010 without SP1. Nothing changed.

I have installed Windows 7 SP1. Nothing changed.

I have installed VS2010 SP1. Nothing changed.

Another developer has installed VS2010 SP1 on Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1 and it works.
Posted by Richard Glidden on 3/14/2011 at 12:17 PM
I'm also getting the error that DoubleJ333 is after installing CU6:

CU6 fixed my SSMS, including IntelliSense on column names, but has now broke my Visual Studio... :(
Posted by DoubleJ333 on 3/14/2011 at 9:02 AM
After installing CU6 VS2010 Database projects no longer work, I am getting a Method Not Found error in Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.SqlParser.Common get_TransactSqlVersion.
Posted by JCorker on 3/14/2011 at 4:40 AM
Just wanted to update my previous comment. My intellisense is only partially working following applying the hotfix. Now I get intellisense when typing in the first table name, then nothing. As I carry on typing it just unlines in red the SQL I have just typed, where before it would have helped complete the table name.
Please fix this soon!
Posted by JCorker on 3/14/2011 at 3:53 AM
It has happend to our developers too. I have just tried the workaround and it has fixed my problem.
Posted by Carol007 on 3/13/2011 at 11:22 AM
We installed the hotfix and are experiencing the same issue others have reported - still no intellisense on column names. Does Microsoft assume that developers don't have VS 2010 and SQL Server 2008 on the same machine, which is why no one there noticed this huge issue before releasing VS 2010 SP1? I'm posting here with the hope that Microsoft sees all of our posts and provides another hotfix ASAP to resolve this lack of full intellisense.
Posted by midnightray on 3/13/2011 at 5:32 AM
Happens to me too, don't really want to install CU6 as it could result in differences between my development machine and a live environment.

Please fix this!
Posted by danielwertheim on 3/12/2011 at 10:51 PM
The solution of installing the update worked for me.

//Daniel
Posted by EyadAB on 3/12/2011 at 8:41 PM
I've installed this hot fix SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU6_2489376_10_50_1765_x64, and also I intellesense is not showing the columns names ....

Is this the correct hotfix :O .... I have windwos 7 installed on my machine !!!

Posted by rfarris2000 on 3/11/2011 at 5:38 PM
I see the same thing as ggpp. I even installed CU6 as well and I am stills seeing the same issue.
Posted by DigitalJustin on 3/11/2011 at 5:20 PM
I realized today that, indeed though the intellisense was there.. it is not accurate... was showing syntax errors on every OUTPUT variable for SP exec statements
Posted by ggpp on 3/11/2011 at 10:06 AM
Correction - It's only partially fixed - I see databases and table names, but intellisense for column names still does not work.
Posted by ggpp on 3/11/2011 at 10:00 AM
CU6 appears to have fixed the problem for me as well.
Posted by Carl Daniel on 3/11/2011 at 7:41 AM
Installing CU6 fixed this problem for me. I don't see anything listed in the changes for CU4, CU5 or CU6 that would even remotely suggest that one of the CU's would fix this issue.
Posted by Daniel Schmitz on 3/11/2011 at 6:02 AM
CU6 doesn't work for me at all ;(
Column names are not shown in every situation...
Posted by DigitalJustin on 3/10/2011 at 5:27 PM
Correction to my earlier post... the CU6 Hotfix available files has actually been updated in the last couple hours I think.. this one SQLServer2008R2_RTM_CU6_2489376_10_50_1765_x64 fixed my issue.
Posted by DigitalJustin on 3/10/2011 at 3:50 PM
I have SQL Server 2008 R2... same.. lost intellisense after VS2010 SP1.. but the workaround did not work for me... are all the files still available for CU6 Hotfix from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2489376? becauase it appears that prior CU's had more files available in the hotfix.
Posted by Craig Gemmill on 3/10/2011 at 11:54 AM
Same issue with SQL 2008 NOT-R2. Workaround not applicable.
Posted by Richard Glidden on 3/10/2011 at 10:24 AM
Installing SQL Server 2008 R2 Cumulative Update 6 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2489376) resolved the issue on my machine.
Posted by rwanauo on 3/10/2011 at 7:31 AM
Most of our programmers (5) here are having the same issue since loading VS2010 SP1.
Posted by Richard Glidden on 3/10/2011 at 7:16 AM
I am also having this issue on my two workstations. I have tried repairing the SSMS installation, but it does not help. There are two threads on the SQL Server Forums discussing this issue as well:

Posted by JelleHellmann on 3/10/2011 at 6:37 AM
# re: March 6th Links: ASP.NET, ASP.NET MVC, jQuery, EF, .NET

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:53 PM by icecold_2

Warning: Installing VS 2010 SP1 will cause you to loose Intellisense in SSMS 2008 R2 to SQL 2008 R2 databases (and probably R1 databases as well). Note: This loss is with Intellisense in SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio 2008) not VS 2010.

This happens on 4 of our developers work stations.