SSRS 2008 R2 + SharePoint 2010 + IE9 = No Export Submenus - by brianpmccullough

Duplicate<br /><br />
		This item appears to be a duplicate of another existing Connect or internal item.<br /><br />

Opened 5/27/2011 7:33:10 AM

Using IE9, I am unable to open the OOB report viewer page's Export menu.  I am able to do so with IE8 and varying versions of FireFox.

Has IE9 broken the Export menu in SSRS Report Viewer Control as displayed in SP2010 Report Viewer page?

When I view the report and use the "Compatability Mode" feature of IE9, the Actions menu is displayed and functions without issue.

I think there is an issue with IE9's rendering of the <menu> tag.  This tag was deprecated in HTML 4.01, but was re-introduced in HTML5 with slightly different meaning and usage.  Given IE9's push towards HTML5 compatability, I suspect this is a result of the new version of the browser trying to adopt HTML5 and/or eliminating support of some deprecated 4.01 tag.

SQL Server may not not be the correct product to log this against. The Report Viewer Web Part used on /_layouts/ReportServer/RSViewerPage.aspx uses the following control which I believe is responsible for rendering the menu items:

Name: Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer
Assembly: Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.UI.WebParts, Version=10.0.0.0

This said the RSReportViewerPage.aspx is setup with an XHTML DocType:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

This should signify to IE9 to treat the menu items as it would have previously.

It may be more appropriate to log against IE9, but not sure where to do that.  Hoping that by logging here we can "hop" over to IE9 feedback if appropriate.
Posted by Eric Cho - on 2/10/2015 at 3:40 PM
I've recently updated the report server components on our SP server with R2 Service Pack 3. Suffice it to say... it should include the cumulative update 11 that was mentioned in many articles before.
The export menu still doesn't work. Note: we are on IE 10
I've updated the ReportViewer.dwp with the recommended meta tag..... again, still does not work.
The only way I can get it to work is by changing the document mode settings in IE to 8. Whhhaaaaat?!

As Sebastien recommended, I've also updated the add-in (http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=622) and yet the issue persists.

Anyone else have anything else they've tried that was successful?

Posted by abhay.joshi on 5/29/2014 at 5:21 AM
Is anyone able to resolved this issue?Any Updates on this Issue? I am facing similar problem in IE 9.0 its NOT working. (working fine for IE 8 and below) Thanks!
Posted by Sebastien Bonami on 3/24/2014 at 2:07 PM
I finally solved the issue by updating the SSRS Add-in for SharePoint on the server!

Link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=622
Posted by Sebastien Bonami on 2/27/2014 at 1:05 PM
I think I found maybe the duplicate post: https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/details/684157/sharepoint-dropdown-menus-do-not-work-in-ie9

Some users in my company have the same problem. On our SQL Server 2008 R2, I installed SP2 as a resolution from the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616481 but the problem persists.
Posted by Alexander Marshall on 11/18/2013 at 8:11 AM
I'm experiencing this issue too, but with the SSRS-based reports accessed from Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 rather than via Sharepoint.

MS - why has this been marked as a duplicate? If it's a duplicate, at least point us in the right direction by providing a link to the non-duplicated connect post.
Posted by Ilkka66 on 5/29/2013 at 11:57 PM
Using IE9, SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2012 SSRS integrated mode, we have this problem despite having "SQL Server 2012 Service Pack 1", which contains "SQL Server 2012 Cumulative Update 1", which contains KB2616481.
Posted by Robb_Z on 5/14/2013 at 1:50 AM
We are running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 (10.50.4000) and it should have been fixed in earlier updates but we still have the issue.

The KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616481) states that the fix was first introduced in Cumulative update package 3 for SQL Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 but I do not see it listed on this page. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2591748. On top of that I am running SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 which includes SP1 CU 1- 5, so I shouldn't see this problem.

Too bad MS can't fix their own products to make this work together.
Posted by Laura Mondy on 4/22/2013 at 9:22 AM
Not sure where the duplicate posting is supposed to be. So I am leaving a new comment here. As a workaound, I have created a copy of the ReportViewer.dwp web part in SharePoint and added this line of code right above the <Title> tag:
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE8" />

I named the new web part with a custom name, uploaded it to the SharePoint site, and added it to a page in SharePoint. It seems to render the reports with a working export menu. I am thinking of modifying the OOTB ReportViewer.dwp web part. But I am not a SharePoint developer and am a little nervous about whether this is the best practice. Any input?

Posted by jsteinbrunner on 3/13/2013 at 9:08 AM
This has been an ongoing issue for our company as well. I have tried the fix posted below (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2616481) and we still do not get the Export menu to show up. We are running SQL 2008 R2 SP1 w/ CU 11, SharePoint 2010. This issue needs to be addressed without compatibility view turned on (an unacceptable work-a-round).
Posted by Gary C Thomas on 2/8/2013 at 5:37 AM

Is the fix, but was a nightmare to find, so posting it here for future reference
Posted by verwegh on 1/30/2013 at 5:55 AM
Adding the site to trusted sites does not work for our clients. Please reopen this issue or give more info.

specs: Reporting Server 2008 R2, IE9, SharePoint 2010.
Posted by Ashok Kumar A on 1/3/2013 at 4:41 AM
even after updating CU11 problem still there. we cannot switch on comptablity mode as several of our other application require IE9 to work only without compatablity mode. need a solution for this.
Posted by Gertjan van Montfoort on 6/21/2012 at 7:45 AM
Also in reporting server 2012 in combination with SharePoint 2010 this bug occurs.
Posted by Chris Grandmont on 6/6/2012 at 6:21 AM
How can this be marked as "Closed as Duplicate" with no information as to the resolution or the duplicate posting?

I have just had a user report this as an issue in our new Reporting Services implementation. We are using SSRS 2008 R2 + SharePoint 2010 + IE9.
The user is viewing a report with the OOTB Report View page (/_layouts/ReportServer/RSViewerPage.aspx). With IE9, if the user turns on Developer Tools (F12), then changes the "Document Mode" to "Internet Explorer 8 Standards", the "Actions > Export" options for the report DO appear. If document "Document Mode" is set to "Internet Explorer 9 Standards", the "Actions > Export" options for the report DO NOT appear. This is repeatable in DIFFERENT SharePoint 2010 environments.
I should also note that IE 8 and FireFox 12 both consistently work fine (the "Actions > Export" options for the report DO appear). So the issue is isolated to "Document Mode" is set to "Internet Explorer 9 Standards".

Microsoft please post the resolution, an acceptable workaround (having user change browser to compatibility mode is not acceptable nor is modifying the "RSViewerPage.aspx" page on the SharePoint/Report Server to force the page to run in compatibility mode in the browser) or the link to the duplicate posting.
Posted by HamidKassar on 5/8/2012 at 3:11 AM
Please let us know what is happening with this, as it is getting very urgent for the business. Which ID has this issue been superseded by?
Posted by Simon Davidson on 5/2/2012 at 1:26 AM
This was being actively investigated nearly 11 months ago, is there a solution now?
Posted by Csharp72 on 2/10/2012 at 2:51 AM
I see this is marked as "Duplicate", and there is no information of which has "taken its place". Where can I follow up on this issue?
Posted by Csharp72 on 2/10/2012 at 2:45 AM
Any news about this problem?

It is a requirement for our users to be able to export from Excel, and our users are now soon all on Windows 7 with IE9. I would classify this as a "Serious bug", as export to different formats is one of the key features, and IE9 should be the perferred browser.
Posted by Cristiano Xavier on 1/10/2012 at 10:24 AM
Any news on this yet?
Posted by Microsoft on 11/4/2011 at 1:09 PM
We are aware of the high voting of this issue and we are working to find a solution.
Best Regards,
RS Reporting Services SQL.
Posted by MattOARRT on 8/15/2011 at 6:53 AM
Any news on this yet? A lot of people are waiting for a fix to this.
Posted by Microsoft on 6/14/2011 at 9:22 AM
Thank you for filing this issue. We are actively investigating.
Posted by Eric Strom on 6/3/2011 at 10:50 AM
I confirmed that this is occurring after upgrading the report viewer web part to CU3. We have a prod server that isn't updated that doesn't exhibit this behavior.