When viewing a SSRS report using the HTML viewer from the SSRS Report Manager, users try to do the following:
- View a report
- Export it to Excel, which opens Excel and loads the file. This exports it as "Report.xls", where "Report" is the name of the .rdl file
- Click back to the HTML report viewer
- Change a parameter on the report and click View Report
- Export it to Excel with the new parameter (with the previous report still open in Excel, in order to do analysis/comparisons)
- SSRS tries to export it again as "Report.xls"
- Excel reports an error because a file with the same name is already open:
"A document with the name 'Report(1).xls' is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders. To open the second document, either close the document that's currently open, or rename one of the documents."
At this point, with Excel 2010 is often locked up - you cannot even dismiss the error message with the "OK" button. You have to kill Excel with Task Manager (Excel 2007 does not lock up, but you still cannot load the two files).