After downloading and installing SQL Server Denali CTP3 on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1 machine (Intel Core i5 processor 430M with 4G of memory) runing .net framework 4.0.30319, the only test that fails is WmiServiceStateCheck: "The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service cannot be started. To continue with the installation, you must troubleshoot and repair your Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service."
I've run sfc /scannow a couple of times to be sure there are no errors, and have run various scripts that turn the service on and off, repair/restore it, etc. to no avail. I've also tried the installation in safe mode to be sure virus checkers and the like are not interfering. I've also run the setup as an adminstrator to no avail.
I can't generate any error message with the WMI service so it appears to be working properly. Using WmiMgmt, it show that "authenticated users", "local service", and "network service" all have "execute methods", "provider write", and "enable account" checked off as allowed. For "administrators", everything except "special permissions" is allowed. Nothing is denied for anyone. I tried giving every group all permissions as a test, but that didn't solve the problem. Further, the "Startup Type" is: Automatic; Local System Account ("Allow service to interact with desktop" is not checked; I tried checking it, but that had no effect). Dependecies: Depends on Remote Procedure Call (RPC); Depended Upon by: Intel Matrix Storage Event Monitor, Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), IP Helper, and Security Center. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
For comparison, I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2. Same error. I also tried the 32-bit version. Same error. I reinstalled .net framework 4.0, redownloaded the 64 bit version of Denali. Same error.
From the log:
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: Initializing rule : Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) service
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: Rule is will be executed : True
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: Init rule target object: Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.WmiServiceInfo
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: The type initializer for 'System.Management.MTAHelper' threw an exception.
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: at System.Management.MTAHelper.IsNoContextMTA()
at System.Management.MTAHelper.CreateInMTA(Type type)
at System.Management.ManagementPath.CreateWbemPath(String path)
at System.Management.ManagementPath..ctor(String path)
at System.Management.ManagementScope..ctor(String path)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.SetupExtension.WmiServiceInfo.Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.RulesEngineExtension.IRuleInitialize.Init(String ruleId)
at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.RulesEngineExtension.RulesEngine.Execute(Boolean stopOnFailure)
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: Rule initialization failed - hence the rule result is assigned as Failed
(05) 2011-08-01 00:28:19 Slp: Send result to channel : RulesEngineNotificationChannel
Note: Also see - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/f317ef2f-7523-4a62-a365-d8244f5858c5