SSMS raises "Unable to establish server mode" error if SSAS encounters errors during startup - by Alberto Ferrari [SQLBI]

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 9/2/2011 2:29:46 AM

Today I cannot access my SSAS Denali Server, SSMS returns this error which, unexpectedly, does not return any result on google, and seems to be related to SSMS asking SSAS which serverMode is using.

The scenario is that I have a big IMBI database which fails to load due to an out of memory error during startup of the server (I have checked it with the flight recorder). I tried to rename the folder of the database but… no luck, the error was still there and the log was showing (of course) an error loading the database.

To make the server work again, I had to delete the db file of the offending database, manually delete the folder and now everything seems to work.

Thus, it seems that if SSAS has some error during startup, it will not answer to his server mode value and SSMS refuses to connect to it.
Posted by ChaitanyaN on 11/5/2013 at 3:20 PM
This is really helpful!
my issue was fixed after deleting the old Cube folder or file and re-cycle SSAS service on the server.
Posted by Kasper [MSFT] on 7/25/2012 at 9:41 PM

This issue with SSMS is resolved with the upcomming service pack release.

Kasper de Jonge
Analysis services team
Posted by on 7/20/2012 at 12:16 PM
I have a similar issue where I am receiving the same error. There are a number of RDBMS instances on my dev SSAS server which consume most of the available memory and spikes RAM utilization to near 100% at times. Once usage drops back down, SSAS remains unresponsive until the service is restarted. 2008 R2
Posted by Christopher Webb on 5/28/2012 at 8:57 AM
I also got the same error when SSMS was trying to connect to a database that no longer existed on the server:
Posted by Microsoft on 10/11/2011 at 2:07 PM
And sorry Alberto for the typo in the reply, I assumed you were Marco because he files a lot of bugs.

Posted by Microsoft on 10/11/2011 at 2:05 PM
Hi Marco, I regret to inform you that the previous fix we had was troublesome. We will have a developer look at an alternate solution in the future.

Cathy Dumas
Posted by Kasper [MSFT] on 9/29/2011 at 4:51 AM
Hello Alberto,

We are happy to inform you that we have found a solution for this problem. You will now be able to connect to the server when one or more databases are toublesome.

The Analysis Services Team
Posted by Wayne [MSFT] on 9/2/2011 at 12:12 PM
Thank you for the feedback. We are investigating this issue and will get back with you.