KB2494088 fails to install with error codes "WindowsUpdate_84B20001" "WindowsUpdate_dt000" by Tim Lovell-Smith

as By Design Help for as By Design

Opened: 9/23/2011 6:54:45 PM

I have been trying to install the security fix for SQL Server 2494088 from Windows Update. Every time I try to do this it requires me to restart my machine but then reports that the installation failed, with above error codes.

Summary.txt contains the following exception stack, but I don't remember when I ever installed any SQL Tools or if they failed and have no idea what to do about it:

Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.ChainerInvalidOperationException
    Message:

A failure was detected for a previous installation, patch, or repair during configuration for features [SQL_SSMS_Adv,SQL_PowerShell_Tools_ANS,]. In order to apply this patch package (KB2494088), you must resolve any issues with the previous operation that failed. View the summary.txt log to determine why the previous operation failed.
    Data:
     ChainerInvalidOperationExceptionData = ProductInstallProperty
     DisableWatson = true
    Stack:
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.ProductInstallProperty.CheckFailedConfiguration()
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.ProductInstallProperty.CollectProductData()
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetInstanceInstallStateAction.GetEligiableInstances()
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.MsiExtension.SetInstanceInstallStateAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)

Posted by Microsoft on 10/22/2012 at 10:55 AM
Thanks for posting the workaround linvi.

ChrisI88 - could you confirm if this workaround works for you?

thanks,
[SQL Server Team]
Posted by linvỉ on 10/19/2012 at 12:53 PM
This issue with repair is that it often does not work also because the environment is compromised, that was the issue I had to face.

Look in the workarounds I made a post.

Posted by ChrisI88 on 10/19/2012 at 6:18 AM
Define Healthy ? I have the same problem on a working instance of SQL server. With no other errors reporting.
Posted by Microsoft on 9/27/2011 at 4:29 PM
Hello Tim Lovell-Smith,

Thank you for taking the time and reporting the issue to us. It appears that your machine includes a failed installation of SQL Server. Unfortunately, SQL Server Patches can only be applied to healthy deployments of SQL Server. Our suggestion would be to repair the failed instance, and apply the patch again.

Given that, I am going to resolve this issue as “By Design”, meaning that the behavior of the product on the Windows 8 operating system was expected. Feel free to reactivating this bug if you disagree with this course of action, or if you still encountered errors with applying the patch to a healthy SQL install. Alternatively, you can contact me directly via dalaqab-<at>-microsoft-<dot>-com.

Regards,

Daryush Laqab
Lead Program Manager
SQL Server

Posted by linvỉ on 10/19/2012 at 12:53 PM
Try this solution it worked for me :