Job Activity Monitor SSMS Error : Object is currently in use elsewhere (System.Drawing) - by Kev Riley

Not Reproducible<br /><br />

Opened 10/28/2011 2:23:32 AM

When I have 2 Job Activity Monitor windows open from 2 different servers, after a period of time (approx 1 minute) one of the windows gets the error

===================================

Object is currently in use elsewhere. (System.Drawing)

------------------------------
Program Location:

at System.Drawing.Image.get_Width()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridBitmapColumn.DrawBitmap(Graphics g, Brush bkBrush, Rectangle rect, Bitmap myBmp, Boolean bEnabled)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridBitmapColumn.DrawCell(Graphics g, Brush bkBrush, SolidBrush textBrush, Font textFont, Rectangle rect, IGridStorage storage, Int64 nRowIndex)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.DoCellPainting(Graphics g, SolidBrush bkBrush, SolidBrush textBrush, Font textFont, Rectangle cellRect, GridColumn gridColumn, Int64 rowNumber, Boolean enabledState)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.PaintOneCell(Graphics g, Int32 nCol, Int64 nRow, Int32 nEditedCol, Int64 nEditedRow, Rectangle& rCell, Rectangle& rCurrentCellRect, Rectangle& rEditingCellRect)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.PaintGrid(Graphics g)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer, Boolean disposeEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.Grid.GridControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/10/2011 at 3:26 PM
Hey Kev I was not able to repro this issue (I tried different scenarios) and didn't find any issue in log file as well, so I'm going to close this issue as not repro if you can find stable repro steps please add it to the bug and we will re-activate this issue.

Alex Grach [MSFT]
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/9/2011 at 11:08 AM
Kev, for some reason I don't see uploaded log file, can you send it to me via email:
algrach@microsoft.com

Thanks
Alex
Posted by Kev Riley on 11/9/2011 at 2:40 AM
Alex,

have uploaded a SQLAGENT.OUT from the server that had the error. Not a lot in the log from the time of the error (9 Nov 2011 10:30 GMT)

Kev
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/8/2011 at 5:08 PM
Hey Kev

I was running two Job Activity monitors for few hours and didn't get any error.
We need to check if its related to type of the jobs that you may have. Try to repro it with your current jobs and without so we can narrow down the problem. In addition can you attach SQL Agent log file (after you hit this issue). The SQL Agent log file (called SQLAGENT.out) located by default under: SQLServer install location (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server) \ MSSQL + Version Number. + Instance Name \MSSQL\Log

If you can’t find it you can run the following T-SQL script to find it out:

DECLARE @oem_errorlog nvarchar(255)
EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_instance_regread N'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE',
N'SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\SQLServerAgent',
N'ErrorLogFile',
@oem_errorlog OUTPUT,
N'no_output'

PRINT @oem_errorlog

Alex

Posted by Kev Riley on 11/8/2011 at 2:35 AM
Alex,

neither of the Job Activity Windows had any Auto-Refresh settings, both set to Manual.
I have also struggled to reproduce my own bug now (and have not installed any updates), but managed eventually, after leaving 2 Job Activity Windows open for approx 8 minutes. I'll keep on checking to see if I can reliably and consistently reproduce it.

Kev
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/7/2011 at 11:34 AM
Hey Kev

I was not able to repro this issue based on your description, so I need more data can you please on two of your Job Activity Monitors click on the View Refresh Settings and let me know if the "Auto- Refresh" check box is checked and to what time interval it is set (if any)

Alex
Posted by Kev Riley on 11/2/2011 at 1:35 AM
Alex,

in my case I was using SSMS from my local machine. I then navigated on the object explorer and opened the Job Activity Monitor against 2 separate physical servers : one SQL 2008R2 Standard, the other SQL 2008R2 Developer.

Does that clarify?

Kev
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/1/2011 at 2:24 PM
Hello Kev

Can you plase clarify the scenario here, what you mean here by two servers?
Are you using one machine or two machines, VMs? How the SQL servers installed? (Side by side or on different machines?) Are you using the same version of SQL Servers?

Thanks
Alex
Posted by Alex [MSFT] on 11/1/2011 at 2:17 PM
Thank you for reporting this issue - we are investigating and we will get back to you shortly.

Thanks,