attach database receive error -->> SetFileIoOverlappedRange failed, GetLastError is 1314 - by richard75013

By Design<br /><br />
		The product team believes this item works according to its intended design.<br /><br />

Opened 1/17/2012 8:33:29 AM

Issue: Each db that I attach SQL is logging the following error multiple times: SetFileIoOverlappedRange failed, GetLastError is 1314.  It also maks the db as readonly and if I try to set read/write it will suspect the db but if I re-detach it and re-attach it it is all good and DBCC check db shows no issues.

I am a development DBA that also manages the QA SQL Server.  I moved our QA team databases (approx. 180) from SQL Server 2005 Developer version to an interim SQL Server running SQL2008R2x64 Developer version while their old O/S was wiped and upgraded to Windows 2008R2x64 and SQL 2008R2x64 Developer version.  I am now moving them back to their rebuilt SQL Server running Windows 2008R2x64 and SQL 2008R2x64 Developer version and when I attach their DBs I am receiving the error below multiple times for each db.  I have verified that there are no issues with the O/S via Windows Event Viewer being reported that might contribute to this issue and that the Domain Account running the SQL Service has the locked pages in memory right.  I have confirmed the lock pages in memory by looking at the SQL Server error log and observing "Using locked pages for buffer pool." in it.  The Domain account that I am using to run the SQL Server service is the same domain account that I am using on the existing DEV Win 2008R2x64 and SQL 2008R2x64 server as well as the existing QA/Dev shared server running Win 2003x64 and SQL 2005x64.

Version info of new QA server: (Having this issue)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64)
Jun 17 2011 00:54:03
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Version of interim QA Server: (Not having any issues)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (RTM) - 10.50.1600.1 (X64)   Apr  2 2010 15:48:46   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 5.2 <X64> (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)

Version of Dev Server: (Not having any issues)
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2500.0 (X64)   Jun 17 2011 00:54:03   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

BTW: I created a new database on this server detached it and reattached it and received the same error.  I also submitted the current SQL Server Error Log for you to look at.  I did change the names of some of the databases for privacy.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/8/2012 at 1:48 PM
Hi Richard,

What is happening is that SQL Server starts up with the privilege and at some point during runtime the privilege is lost which is not supposed to happen. In order to troubleshoot the problem, we'll need to run diagnostics and instrumentation to understand what's happening. This cannot be done through a connect item and I recommend you contact customer support to help you further.

Thanks,
Fabricio Voznika
SQL Server Engine team
Posted by richard75013 on 1/30/2012 at 9:00 AM
Dear Microsoft employee,
Please reopen this issue as your explanation of the obvious was already documented in my original post therefore your resolution is invalid and of no use to me.

Respectfully,
Richard
Posted by richard75013 on 1/30/2012 at 8:53 AM
Dear Microsoft employee,
As previously noted, the O/S right "lock Pages in memory" is set and in effect, of which you can confirm via the SQL error log I submitted. My intention of identifying this important piece of information in the original post and providing the SQL Server error log to you was so that we might be able to get past 1st base with your initial response but since that failed can you take another look at this issue and give me something that I didn’t already know and acknowledge in the original post?

Respectfully,
Richard
Posted by Microsoft on 1/30/2012 at 8:26 AM
Hi Richard,

Thanks for reporting this problem to us. This error (1314 - ERROR_PRIVILEGE_NOT_HELD) happens when SQL Server processes loses "Lock pages in memory" privilege which is required to use a feature called locked IO to improve performance. This feature is automatically enabled when "Lock pages in memory" privilege is enabled for SQL Server. This error by itself is harmless, but there are other parts of the system that could get affected if this privilege is lost. Please contact Microsoft Product Support if this happens again.

Thanks,