Connection Dialog Appears Off Screen - by Mortisoul

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 2/14/2012 8:34:23 AM

When you use dual monitors that are NOT horizontally aligned (ie one is higher then the other in reference to each other but still side by side) the connection dialog box will do a middle screen alignment based on the main screen and not the screen that SQL Management studio is running on.  In my case my second monitor is on a lower portion of my desk and to have the mouse scroll horizontally across I have the alignment in the monitor settings setup the same way they physically are on my desk.  I tend to run Management Studio on my second lower monitor and so when the connection dialog needs to be shown it appears as only a sliver at the top of the second monitors screen.
Posted by cmay on 12/5/2016 at 9:50 AM
Thanks to Mike Williams for that code. Worked perfectly.
Posted by Mike Williams (UK) on 8/25/2016 at 12:41 PM
Code on PasteBin

SSMS Window Fixer - Win32 API [http://pastebin.com/MdCnwF8U]
SSMS Window Fixer - Form [http://pastebin.com/REg0FBkR]

I am sure that you can work out how to create a windows forms app using visual studio
I set the form to start minimized and not show in task bar
Posted by Mike Williams (UK) on 8/25/2016 at 12:32 PM
Hi All,

After moving office to a smaller desk I now have the two external screens above my laptop's display and hey preso I am getting the same.

I do however have a fix.

I have written a small C# Windows Forms application which uses the Win32 API to enumerate all windows and when it detects SSMS is active and a dialogue with a name starting with a set of values it checks to see if it's position is within the parent window position and if not centres it on it's parent.

I am going to try to attach the program after I have submitted this post.

The window titles I look for are

if (title.ToLower().Equals("connect to server")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("connect to windows azure storage")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("delete object")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("attach databases")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("new database")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("filter settings")
|| title.ToLower().Equals("schema - new")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("execute procedure")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("back up database")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("restore database")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("database user")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("database role properties")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("database properties")
|| title.ToLower().StartsWith("schema properties"))
{
    ....
}
Posted by David Shiflet [MSFT] on 7/8/2016 at 7:35 PM
the connection dialog placement was fixed in the June or July SSMS 2016 release.
Posted by jm62619847 on 6/21/2016 at 7:02 AM
This isn't a benign problem, it's a pain in the ass. Try working with SSMS everyday and experiencing this everytime you need to make a new connection.
Posted by gocsan on 5/18/2016 at 5:27 AM
A more permanent workaround is to adjust your screen display from Control Panel/Screen Resolution so that the top part of both monitors align horizontally. I.e. just drag the screen so that the top part of screen 1 aligns with screen 2. Having the bottom part of the screens aligning will produce this issue.
Posted by MikeD314 on 3/3/2016 at 6:14 PM
just to be clear I'm not using SSMS 2008. this is the latest release:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                        13.0.11000.78
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                        13.0.1000.255
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                        10.0.10586.0
Microsoft MSXML                        3.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                        9.11.10586.0
Microsoft .NET Framework                        4.0.30319.42000
Operating System                        6.3.10586
Posted by MikeD314 on 3/3/2016 at 6:12 PM
while it isn't hard to use Ctrl+M and arrow keys it does get really frustrating when you open a new query window and SSMS prompts you to connect without you realizing it and you spend 30 seconds wondering why your keypresses aren't showing up in the window.

it just makes it seem like a low quality, unpolished product to have this kind of issue when it seems like having the window just "open in the center of the main window" doesn't sound like a hard problem to solve but clearly it is never going to be fixed.
Posted by Kevin Welsh (kdubious) on 1/17/2016 at 5:42 PM
I'm using a Surface Book, with my SB, then two 1080p monitors to the right.

It seems it tries to open the dialog centered on the monitor, and vertically centered on the SB screen. Since the SB screen is much taller (in terms of pixels), the connection dialog is entirely off screen for me.
Posted by teatime on 1/13/2016 at 1:48 AM
This is utterly irritating so much so that finally got round to using Google to search for a fix, and found this... very disappointed by this response.

To replicate:

1. Take one laptop with the latest Microsoft products: WIndows 10 and SQL Server Management Studio 2014
2. Take two LCDs, one connected via VGA the other HDMI and have locations so the LCDs are position next to each other above the laptop display (in the form of a T)
3. Open SQL Server Management Studio (in my case display 3 which is in the top left of the T)

Behold! the login dialog appears half way off the left of the laptop display, I guess logically horizontally positioned in the middle of display 3 but vertically positioned on display 1 - laptop)

This... is.... incredibly... irritating... although to be fair so is a lot of SSMS (every tried to mousescroll through the database dropdown)
Posted by Stoonad on 7/23/2015 at 8:03 AM
Utterly ridiculous that MS will not fix this.
Posted by Randar Puust on 7/3/2015 at 7:16 AM
I agree, not a benign problem. I have two monitors of very different sizes and every time I open SQL Management Studio, SQL Profiler...I have to go through this song and dance to move the connection dialog to a height I can actually login. Easily reproducible.

How could MS just close this because it doesn't happen on their nice pairs of monitors that are the same size unlike a significant number of other people on this planet?
Posted by Mark S (SolSoft Solutions) on 4/2/2015 at 1:23 PM
This is not a benign problem; depending on your monitor configuration the connect dialog can be completely offscreen and inaccessible. So you have to do the Alt-Space+M nonsense. And it will affect you *every* *time* *you* *open* *SSMS*. And you will curse MS's apathy towards usability *every* *time* *you* *open* *SSMS*.
Posted by Jeffrey Walton on 2/11/2015 at 11:23 AM
> have decided not to improve the behavior at this time since
> this is a relatively benign problem.

I can't begin to tell you how much this offends me. I sincerely hope every Microsoft executive who agrees with this dies in an airplane crash. They said "f**k me", so I say "f**k them" right back.
Posted by Yogin on 11/17/2014 at 6:11 AM
Please make this priority and fix this. I connect to many db servers as developers, and every time i have to move the window back. This is so frustrating.
Posted by Richard in VA on 11/12/2013 at 4:01 AM
We should not need to change our monitor configuration because this is a "relatively benign" problem. It is a major pain for people who are trying to use your product.

What happened to Microsoft? You have always been kind of a pain in the butt, but at least you pretended to care about usability. For some reason you decided that you only care about customer's user experience if they are using Windows Phone or the Surface. Nobody is buying either, and you are pissing off all your desktop / server customers. I don't get it.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/11/2013 at 9:02 AM
Hi Mortisoul

Thanks for contacting Microsoft. We have been able to reproduce this issue, but have decided not to improve the behavior at this time since this is a relatively benign problem.

Regards,