SQL Server Management Studio, Connect to Server, Popup Dialog - by NathanStorms

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 7/26/2012 10:26:21 AM

"Connect to Server" popup windows is not centered in parent window.
Posted by Kevin Welsh (kdubious) on 1/17/2016 at 5:40 PM
Frustrating and painful. A wasted hour trying to figure out how to get into my own SQL Server.
Posted by AnotherDataWrangler on 1/14/2016 at 6:27 AM
"Won't Fix"? Seriously? The New Project window respects the location of the mgmt studio window, why can't Connect to Server? How about slipping it into the next "year" release of SQL server at the very least, huh? Y'all want Surfaces to be viable as replacement desktops, well, you're going to have to buck up and address multiple monitor setups.
Posted by EmmaKay7 on 9/24/2015 at 8:06 AM
When remoting into workstations, and launching MSSM, there is always an initial popup to log into a server. It invariably appears offscreen, and cannot be brought back to the middle. This requires several minutes of attempts to locate and accept whatever is on the popup. It is a big sore spot, since we use remote desktop regularly.
Posted by tneb on 8/26/2015 at 1:14 PM
This is a definite issue and seems to happen more often now that I've upgraded to Windows 10. In order to resolve, I need to either change my display settings or disconnect my dock...very annoying.
Posted by Dana Reed on 8/26/2015 at 10:26 AM
The real problem is that the popup dialog window is displayed off screen. A problem I have because I have multiple monitors of differing dimensions.
For the programmer to fix this is really just a single setting. Currently it's in a setting where it popups up as a floating modal dialog - not fixed or centered. It really is just a single HWND setting.
Modal popups are bad programming form now days anyway - it's not the 1990's any longer.
Posted by Adrian Gabriel, Lopez on 4/30/2015 at 3:30 PM
Cmon guys can't you just solve this? it would literally take you less than a minute! true not a big deal but, I'm using 3 monitors and it definitely appears in the worst and most annoying possible spot
Posted by Yogin on 11/17/2014 at 6:11 AM
Please make this priority and fix this. I connect to many db servers as developers, and every time i have to move the window back. This is so frustrating.
Posted by morgaad1 on 8/28/2014 at 2:34 PM
Is there any other database software we can use? This is pretty sad that its 2014 and still the stupid screen keeps popping up off my monitor where I cannot click on it. I literally have to undock my laptop every time I open SSMS. AND SSMS is the only program, (and I use alot) that does it. I guess yall aint smart enough to fix it...hmmm. So there must be an altrenative software provider who knows how to fix issues.. This is so damn aggravating I'm banging my head against the wall... c'mon!!
Posted by danq m on 2/11/2013 at 4:50 PM
This didn't meet the bar? It's a major usability bug and the fix is trivial, you could write & test it in under 15 minutes.
Posted by Microsoft on 1/31/2013 at 9:54 PM
Hi!, thanks for writing in to Microsoft.

We took a look at this bug and triaged it against several others and unfortunately, it did not meet the bar to be fixed and we are closing it as 'won't fix'.

Regards,
Sanjay Nagamangalam, SQL Server Manageability
Posted by Brian P on 11/9/2012 at 6:31 AM
This is ridiculous. I've been plagued by this bug through SQL 2005, 2008, 2008R2, and now Microsoft releases 2012 and STILL has this bug? Microsoft clearly is not paying attention to the community. Multiple monitors are the standard now, and running multiple monitors with different resolution shouldn't cripple a program from running correctly. Yes the "workarounds" work, they are also a pain in the ...
Posted by Bruce Hendry on 9/28/2012 at 10:55 AM
This is also logged here: http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/726662/connect-to-server-window-has-wrong-default-screen-position
Posted by Bruce Hendry on 9/27/2012 at 11:44 AM
Yeah, I get this exact behavior (described by original poster) with a T display configuration, too. Found this page searching for a solution. It seems limited to the Connect To dialog from Object Explorer. It does this for all Connect To options except "Azure Storage..." (I am using SSMS 2012). This is understandable because Azure Storage uses a different dialog box.

Super annoying; I have to move the dialog box each time using keyboard commands or grabbing a little bit of the dialog box that is visible and dragging it. SSMS does NOT remember the location.

I have begun using the Registered Servers treeview to avoid dealing with this issue; I hope it's resolved soon.
Posted by Clarence Liu on 8/28/2012 at 12:00 PM
Here's another issue related to this problem, I work on two screens, one is an elevated monitor 1920x1080 the other is my 1600x900 laptop which sits on my desk, about 15 cm below my monitor.

So I have my laptop screen positioned vertically below my monitor in the "Screen Resolution" settings, I usually open my SSMS in the laptop screen. Now when I re-open it, it opens in the laptop screen but the connect dialog is actually positioned ABOVE the laptop screen, where it's inaccessible, the only way to resolve this issue is to vertically align the two screens every time this happens, this is quite ridiculous.