PowerPivot couldn't load Data Model when SSAS Tabular Instance is running - by Julie Koesmarno

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 3/7/2013 11:51:17 AM

When SSAS Tabular Model instance is running, a new table could not be added to the Data Model.

Posted by Delage Sivacoumar on 6/27/2014 at 6:49 AM
Hello,

We are facing the same issue but unlike other users we are not running SSAS Tabular instance.
You can read below my analysis, maybe it can help you to find a global solution.

Context:
PowerPivot for Excel 2013 is virtualized thanks to Citrix-XenApp.
Multiple users open a blank workbook and then launch PowerPivot.

Observations:

1. When four users are connected to the same Citrix server, the PowerPivot add-in is launched without troubles through the Manage button.

2. When five users are connected to the same Citrix server, the PowerPivot add-in is launched without troubles through the Manage button for the first four users; but the fifth user and the next ones receive the errors "We couldn't load the Data Model. This may be because the Data Model in this workbook is damaged." and "PowerPivot is unable to load the Data Model.".

3. When one user is alone on a Citrix server and when the user launches multiple instances of Excel with the command line "excel.exe /x", the PowerPivot add-in is launched without troubles through the Manage button for the first four instances; but the fifth instance and the next ones display the same errors described in the observation #2.

4. The overall physical memory consumption of the Citrix server is only at 10%.

5. The observations below have been tested on two distinct Citrix servers (one with administrator privileges and the other one, without) and both of them result on the same issue.

Hypothesis:
PowerPivot for Excel 2013 doesn't work beyond four Excel processes launched on the same machine.

Sivacoumar Delage
Posted by Microsoft on 6/6/2014 at 12:41 PM
Hello,

The problem here is a memory conflict between AS in excel in tabular (both want a lot of memory). When AS in Excel doesnt get the memory it wants it fails. We are working on a fix that will resolve this issue in an upcomming update of Office 2013.

I am closing this issue.

Thanks,
Kasper
Posted by Karaoan on 3/12/2014 at 9:22 PM
I can reproduce this on my machine as well after downgrading from Office365 desktop Excel to the desktop standalone version.
Posted by Microsoft on 2/20/2014 at 9:35 AM
I have reopnend this issue to be reevaluated.

Regards,
Kasper de Jonge
Analysis Services team
Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki on 2/7/2014 at 3:14 AM
This issue is most definitely reproducible and needs to be fixed.
Posted by Chris OK on 11/29/2013 at 6:56 AM
I am also having this problem. Like David, if I run Excel as a Local Administrator, the problem disappears.
Posted by tdthoi on 8/23/2013 at 5:30 AM
I never had this problem until today, after I did a "non-standard" installation: Windows, then SQL Server 2012 SP1, then Office 2013 Pro Plus. Now I have it.

After trying everything I know without success, I revert back to a "standard" installation: uninstall Office, uninstall SQL, install Office FIRST, install SQL SECOND. Now the issue is gone.
Posted by Julie Koesmarno on 8/1/2013 at 6:17 AM
I agree, there are a number of us who could reproduce this issue. A few people commented on my blog post here http://www.mssqlgirl.com/powerpivot-2013-error-data-model-damaged.html to report the items.

I hope this issue is reopened.

Thank you.
Julie
Posted by Koen Verbeeck on 7/26/2013 at 4:18 AM
How is this not reproducible when 2 users can reproduce this bug?
Posted by Koen Verbeeck on 4/25/2013 at 5:42 AM
I have the same behaviour when I'm running a virtual machine using HyperV. If the data model is open, I cannot start the VM (getting an error saying there aren't sufficent resources). If the VM is running, I can't open the PowerPivot Model, saying it might be damaged.

Very frustrating...
Posted by David M Feldman MCSD MCDBA, MCTS SharePoint on 4/2/2013 at 7:52 PM
I can confirm i've seen this on any machine where the user does not have local admin rights. I wasted weeks with support and made no progress. This really needs to be fixed