SSMS 2012 Will Not Open Using "Run As" - by Justin Pompey

Won't Fix<br /><br />
		Due to several factors the product team decided to focus its efforts on other items.<br /><br />

Opened 7/27/2013 10:24:22 AM

When opening SQL Server Management Studio 2012 with a different user than is currently logged in, splash page opens, then this message appears:

A problem occurred when loading the Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio menu. To fix this problem, run 'ssms.exe /resetsettings' from the command prompt. Note: this command resets your environment settings.

This was previously working flawlessly until SSMS stopped unexpectedly. SSMS opens fine when opening with current logged in user.

1.) Tried ssms.exe /resetsettings - this only opens help box. This does not appear to be a valid flag.
2.) I have uninstalled, re-installed SSMS and the Engine several times. Same issue.
3.) This is SQL 2012 SP1 - I added CU5. Same issue.

Critical because at my company we have to connect to our environments using a privileged accounts. This bug prevents me from doing so.
Posted by Dave Turpin on 2/23/2016 at 8:05 AM
Thanks for the post. It helped me resolve the issue with SQL 2014.

It didn't work the first time for me, but I may not have got it 100 percent in the first place. My take aways from this are:

1. Make sure you delete the registry keys for ALL users. There's a bug in the post... run /user: should be runas /user:

2. Similarly, I deleted the C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio for both users.

3. Adding the -log C:\Users\Public\ActivityLog.xml to write to a startup log file is a cool feature. It helped me see a reference to a ssms.CMT (i think that was the name) file that was "out of date". The CTM file is out of date and should be deleted and rebuilt, but the file 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\12.0\1033\Ssms.CTM' could not be deleted. This put the focus on Visual Studio.

4. Don't skip the step to delete the old tools directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools. It seems scary but it gets replaced on the new install.

Posted by Microsoft on 8/5/2013 at 11:22 AM
Hello Justin,

This error usually occurs because of an issue with the VS Command Tables. A normal uninstall/reinstall should fix it but since it isn't could you do the following:

1. Uninstall SSMS (at minimum, if you are able to uninstall all SQL components on the machine please do)
2. Verify that the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools" folder is gone. If it's still around delete it manually.
3. Browse to "C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio" and delete the 11.0 folder, where <USER> is the username of the account. Do this for BOTH users (your normal account and the priviliged one)
4. Uninstall the "Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated)" program
5. Run the following command, replacing <USER> with one of the user accounts
run /user:<USER> regedit.exe
6. Browse to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft" and delete the "SQL Server Management Studio" key if it exists
7. Exit regedit
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for the other account
9. Reinstall SSMS

Charles Gagnon (
Posted by Justin Pompey on 7/30/2013 at 2:12 PM
Hi Charles -

Removing sqlbin did not fix the issue. I have upload the activitylog files for your review.

Also, curious why SSMS gives me instructions to perform an invalid command (/resetsettings).

Thanks for all the help!
Posted by Microsoft on 7/30/2013 at 9:27 AM
Hello Justin,

No, resetsettings is not a valid command. See for a list of the valid command-line switches.

You can reset the settings manually though by following the instructions here: (ignore the fact that this is about VS2010, it's the same process).

Could you also go and delete (or move/rename) the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\SQL Server Management Studio\11.0\SqlStudio.bin file and let me know if those help at all?

If that doesn't work following these steps:

1. Open a command prompt, running as administrator
2. Run the following command :

runas /user:<USERNAME> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\ssms.exe -log C:\Users\Public\ActivityLog.xml"

where <USERNAME> is the name of the user account you're unable to run SSMS as.
3. Once the error appears exit out of SSMS
4. Browse to C:\Users\Public
5. zip up the two files, ActivityLog.xml and ActivityLog.xsl
6. Attach the zipped up files to this bug report (if they're too big e-mail me at and we'll work it out).

Charles Gagnon (
Posted by Justin Pompey on 7/29/2013 at 6:14 PM
I'd also like to add that I also have SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on my machine. I have been using that in the meantime.
Posted by Justin Pompey on 7/29/2013 at 6:11 PM
Hi Charles - I am using Windows 7 SP1 and SSMS 11.0.3000.0. Here are the full details from SSMS:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                                         11.0.3000.0
Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                                                11.0.3000.0
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                                         6.1.7601.17514
Microsoft MSXML                                         3.0 4.0 6.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer                                             8.0.7601.17514
Microsoft .NET Framework                                                4.0.30319.1008
Operating System                                                6.1.7601

I did not have any issues with SSMS using my local or "privileged account" until last week. I received a regular "Program Not Responding" error, closed SSMS, and attempted to restart and received the error message.

Is ssms.exe /resetsettings a valid command?
Posted by Microsoft on 7/29/2013 at 5:57 PM
Hello Justin,

I am unable to repro this on a local machine. Could you verify what version of SSMS and Windows you're running?

I'm also curious about your statement that it was "working flawlessly until SSMS stopped unexpectedly". So you did not have any issues until one day SSMS stopped unexpectedly and you've been having this issue every since?

Charles Gagnon (
Posted by Microsoft on 7/29/2013 at 4:12 PM
Hello Justin. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We really do appreciate the feedback. We’ll investigate and get back to you.

-Walter A Jokiel, Program Manager, SQL Server (