I have an extensive data model I built in Excel 2013 64 bit. After a recent inclusion of some slicer linkages, I've not been able to access the data model or launch Powerpivot.
I'd appreciate understanding how to mitigate this error such that I don't have to rebuild the data model, and what could cause this behavior in the first place.
I suspect the first error is the root cause, which has to do with a workbook upgrade, but that doesn't make much sense since it's been developed on one machine.
The error detail is:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.CannotUpgrade(GeminiWorkbook geminiWb, WorkbookConnection wbConn, String& message)
at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadSafeSandboxAfterConnection(String errorCache)
at Microsoft.Office.PowerPivot.ExcelAddIn.InProcServer.LoadOLEDBConnection(Boolean raiseCompleteEvent, String errorCache)
It seems that adding workbook security is the culprit. If I add protection and specify a group of users with "Change" access, some with "Read" access and save that version, the next time it's opened it creates this error condition.