SQL Server Reporting Services is not compatible with Internet Explorer 11 - by Tryout User

Fixed<br /><br />

Status Resolved Workarounds
Opened 12/3/2013 3:31:37 AM

Report toolbar—the one with report controls and export feature—is displayed on multiple lines in Internet Explorer 11, while in Internet Explorer 10 or earlier the toolbar was displayed in a single line.
Posted by Paul Van Dyck on 10/1/2015 at 2:20 PM
You need to get a fix for SQL Server 2008 R2 before you mark this as fixed.

I've even used the work around change noted in workarounds, modifying the .js file - still hasn't fixed it in our environment.
Posted by Sudhakar Babu Ramineni on 6/3/2015 at 5:21 AM

Is there any permanent fix for IE 11 compatibility issues in SQL Server 2008 reporting services?
It's not possible to upgrade the database all the times due to lack of interrelated issues within the project.
If you can provide the solution is very much appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Sudhakar Babu. R
Posted by Mariusz [MSFT] on 10/7/2014 at 11:20 AM
Thank you for submitting this feedback.
This problem was fixed in SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU #8 which was released on 1/29/2014: http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2917531
This fix is also included in SQL Server 2012 SP2.

Thanks again for reporting the product issue and continued support in improving our product.

Mariusz Cichomski
Program Manager
Posted by JP_CBS on 9/8/2014 at 12:52 PM
We have plenty of customers with 2008 R2 as well. Please fix. Now that I realize that SP2 breaks this, I will have to keep customers at SP1.
Posted by Philipp_Lenz on 7/9/2014 at 1:59 AM
Is there any Update für SQL Server 2008R2/Reporting Services 2008R2 planned to fix this Problem?
It is not possible to migrate by any customer with this Problem to SQL 2012 or to edit any files (because there other Software solutions). The Setting in the compatibility list is a good workarround, but i must work with the ad admins ....
Posted by jsanchez14 on 5/27/2014 at 8:17 AM

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 and IE 11 and it works changing the compatibility level in the browser, but I would like a CU for SQL 2008 R2 as well.

Posted by Anthony Trudeau on 5/2/2014 at 11:26 AM
I would like to see an update for SQL Server 2008 R2 as well.
Posted by Ricardo Matos Matosdotnet on 3/28/2014 at 1:06 AM
Hello there,

the latest cumulative packages do solve this issue for SQL Server 2012.

Unfortunatly seems still not to be the case for SQL Server 2008 R2. Is it planned to release it anytime soon?

Best Regards.
Posted by Matt VC on 3/12/2014 at 11:25 AM

I noticed there were multiple fixes to be downloaded from the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2917531 page, I'm guessing it's SQLServer2012_SP1_CU8_2917531_11_0_3401_x64 for this IE 11 issue?
Posted by Omair Imran on 2/7/2014 at 6:06 AM

Is there any update for SQL Server 2008 R2 which uses v10.0.0?

As a work around I have managed to sort the multiline issue by replacing display = "inline-block" to just "inline" at page level. The print button is still pending.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by Mariusz [MSFT] on 1/29/2014 at 2:17 PM
Hello -

We are happy to inform that the problem was fixed in CU8 for SQL Server 2012 Sp1.
Please visit the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2917531 to get the update.

Mariusz Cichomski
Program Manager
SQL Server, Microsoft
Posted by Bluey47 on 1/27/2014 at 7:29 PM
Michael, I completely agree. MS needs to release an actual solution for this in a service pack.

They also need to address the obvious issues with their internal testing of IE and SSRS. Especially if they think businesses are going to continue using such poorly supported solutions. SSRS is only supported to be used with IE, we therefore require Microsoft to check that future versions of IE support SSRS. If there are bugs they need to be fixed before the new version of IE is forced onto computers through windows update and not years after.

The work around I posted shouldn’t be necessary if MS handled this better, however it has prevented me talking hundreds of clients through how and why they need to add our site to the compatibility list in IE. Luckily only a few use the print control.
Posted by michael12345 on 1/27/2014 at 5:54 PM
Thanks for the workaround Blue47 and we'll keep that up our sleeves if we need it. However, I want to emphasize to Microsoft that we really need a vendor-supported fix for this. I have multiple instances of SSRS to administer and rolling out manual hotfixes to javascript files will make it a maintenance headache.

When we've done this sort of thing in the past, we've gotten into all sorts of trouble downstream either failing to re-apply the fix in future deployments, or inadvertently applying a new fix that overwrites the old one. The latest version of IE should work with the latest version of SSRS.
Posted by Bluey47 on 1/27/2014 at 5:03 PM
I have just added another workaround which corrects the IE11 Navigation bar issue without requiring compatibility mode. Unfortunately it doesn’t correct the print control issue which still requires compatibility mode.
Posted by AmosOtis on 1/13/2014 at 5:16 PM
unfortunately for me the "workaround" is untenable. I have an MVC site using "bootstrap" and "font awesome" on the same server with Reporting Services. When in compatibility mode the SSRS reports then look fine but my MVC site is not functional. When in "normal" mode the MVC site works fine but as stated here SSRS reports look stupid.

Please Microsoft make SSRS work with IE 11 natively!

Posted by michael12345 on 12/18/2013 at 8:07 PM
The workaround resolved the toolbar display issue for me - but it's not really a suitable long-term fix. We have quite a wide community of web users and offering instructions on how to add our domain to the compatibility view list is just more unwanted support overhead. Also, compatibility view appears to break other parts of our website.

I really hope that there is an SQL service pack or hotfix on the way.
Posted by Shaun Baggett on 12/4/2013 at 4:48 PM
I also get the dodgy toolbar after upgrading to Windows 8.1. This installed IE 11 as part of the upgrade from Windows 8.0
My SSRS (2012) report server is running locally on my Windows 8.1 machine.