SQL 2014 SSMS GUI cannot see folders to perform backup or restore - by Stefan Boychev

Fixed<br /><br />

Opened 6/24/2014 5:54:36 AM

When I try to browse folders to backup a database or do a restore I receive the following error:

The SQL data/log/backup files reside on Clustered Shared Volumes. Disks are LUNs presented within the VM from a SAN. SQL Server is an FCI.
* SQL Server service account has full permissions over the SQL folders.
* Tried to create a sub-folder under the root backup folder - C:\ClusterStorage\SQLINSTANCE_Backup\Backup and grant full permissions - error again
* I ran SSMS as administrator - error again
* I disabled HotAdd/HotPlug capability for the virtual machines (SQL FCI runs on Windows 2012 guests, hosts are ESX 5.1) as per this article - http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012225 - error again

TITLE: Locate Backup File - SERVER\INSTANCE
------------------------------

C:\ClusterStorage\SQLINSTANCE_Backup\Backup
Cannot access the specified path or file on the server. Verify that you have the necessary security privileges and that the path or file exists.

------------------------------
BUTTONS:

OK
------------------------------

Posted by Brian Callaghan on 12/22/2015 at 5:53 PM
I have applied the latest patches (currently SQL 2014 SP1 CU4) and I am able to backup. The 'Locate Database Files' screen now shows multiple copies of the local C: drive and not the other drives installed on the server. I can backup to other drives by specifying the path.
HP GEN 8 server, Windows 2012 -R2.
Posted by AlBran LVP on 11/5/2015 at 2:42 PM
I skipped to CU2 and that worked for me. Just make sure you close SSMS and reopen before you test.
Posted by TypeA on 9/16/2015 at 1:27 PM
I have downloaded and installed the hotfix and for some reason it did not change the behaviour. I am able to restore VIA T_SQL. SQL 2014 SP1 CU1
Posted by DarSal on 8/19/2015 at 4:51 AM
On SQL Server 2014, CU1 for SQL Server 2014 SP1 fixed this issue.
See KB3067839.
Posted by wingmanatl78 on 7/9/2015 at 12:17 PM
I have contacted MS Product Support requesting this hotfix and have been told that no such hotfix exsists.
Please advise on which Critical Update applies or provide a d/l link to the hotfix.

Thank you in advance.
Posted by OuissameFR on 6/22/2015 at 11:17 AM
CU8 released on 06/19/2014 has fixed the issue. Thank you.
Posted by OuissameFR on 6/22/2015 at 9:45 AM
I can't believe that SQL 14 has been released without testing the SSMS-CSV compatibility ! What is the process to get the hotfix ? I wasn't really a big fan of CSVFS and treating the "simultaneous" access to the data at the server level but now it is even worse !
Posted by Scooby2009 on 5/19/2015 at 8:25 AM
How can we get a copy of this hotfix?
Posted by Jeffrey E Langdon on 5/15/2015 at 11:30 AM
I just ran into the same issue when trying to Attach a database with SSMS in SQL 2014 EE RTM. Using TSQL worked fine, just not the GUI as others have mentioned. Glad I found this, I had wasted some time trying to figure out why it was failing after the appropriate permissions were issued. #SMH
Posted by AlexP(Coherence) on 5/4/2015 at 1:38 PM
This same behavior also happens in SSMS on "Attach Database" screen and when doing - Properties of SQL instance - Database settings - Browse. Basically any SQL 2014 GUI that references CSV, does not allow browsing and presents blank dialogue. I am at SQL 2014 CU6 which is the latest as of today May 4th 2015.
Posted by Andrej Zafosnik on 4/29/2015 at 4:33 AM
I am having the same problem.
It would be realy nice if the GUI worked for SQL restores.
Posted by Stefan Boychev on 3/13/2015 at 4:50 AM
Mark, thanks for the update. It seems that hotfix will not be released to public and needs to be explicitly requested from Microsoft. This is not serious...
Posted by MarkDoyle on 3/13/2015 at 2:49 AM
I have just been on the phone to MS Support who have advised me there is no hotfix available and that a technical case would need to be logged in order to troubleshoot this.
Posted by MarkDoyle on 3/12/2015 at 4:18 AM
I have contacted MS support to see if I can get the Hotfix mentioned in the below comments. I will let you know how I get on.
Posted by Stefan Boychev on 3/11/2015 at 7:53 AM
No, this is not fixed yet. I patched my SQL 2014 environment up to CU6 and issue is still there.
Posted by MarkDoyle on 3/11/2015 at 1:20 AM
HI,

Can you tell us if this has been fixed in the CU5 update ?

Thanks,

Mark
Posted by Microsoft on 2/6/2015 at 12:09 PM
Stefan,
We have fixed this issue in future version. If you need this fix as a hotfix, can you please submit a request to Microsoft Product Support?

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
SQL Server
Posted by Microsoft on 2/6/2015 at 12:09 PM
Stefan,

Thanks
Sethu Srinivasan [MSFT]
SQL Server
Posted by Helmut Porcher on 1/29/2015 at 12:57 PM
I've encountered the same issue. This makes it extermely difficult to use the GUI. Any news on a correction?